Photo-realistic Rendering

I am a handbag designer new to Rhino. I am using Rhino to create the hardware for our handbags, however, I want to be able to render the actual handbag also. Here is an example of the photo realistic rendering I want to achieve. Does anyone have any suggestions on software, or training to get to this level of expertise? Example shown in the link below…
https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/celine-luggage-handbag-model-1318804

This didn’t come through… can you post it again? Post any 3dm you can too as texture mapping will likely come into play.

You could use Blender but to get such a Clean Mesh retopo needs to be done a also textures for example the seams.
I could give you some Lessons.

FYI, Raytraced in Rhino is the Cycles engine from Blender integrated directly into Rhino…

Hi Monica,

That’s a nice poly model and a clean UV layout for the leather texture to flow and be sized correctly. There’s a lot going on there in terms of techniques for achieving a render like that but here are a few ideas that may help in Rhino. As for what renderer, you could use pretty much any including the included Raytraced mode in Rhino 6.

• For the edge painting details on the panels, you can either assign sub-object materials by ctrl+shift select and then right click a material to apply to selection. Or you can Explode the solid in order to apply a separate material to the thin edge surface. Separate materials will be needed for the interior of the panels as well.
  • The size of the texture such as the leather grain and how it is oriented on the surfaces the material is applied to is controlled by the texture mapping set for the object in Properties>texture mapping. You can also control how textures map onto surfaces via the texture mapping settings for a texture within a material. For instance the Rhino 6 material library uses WCS or world coordinate system mapping by default which projects a texture onto the model from a large bounding box surrounding the model.
  • The lighting in this example is a clean studio type set up similar to what you will get in Rhino 6 by default. You can use different environments for reflections only in the backdrop section of the Rendering panel in Rhino 6 to experiment. The Raytraced display mode or Rhino Render will use these.
  • The stitching adds a lot of realism in the example. There are two approaches I can recommend in Rhino to do this. The first is to model a single stitch and then extract the render mesh of it with ExtractRenderMesh. Then use ArrayCrvOnSrf to array the mesh stitch along a curve on a surface. Doing this with a mesh object will keep the file size down. After you array the mesh stitch, select them all (SelLast) and Join the meshes into one disjoint mesh to further optimize the model size and display performance.
    The other approach will produce a straight pipe stitch but is easier to edit after the fact for sizing and spacing. Here’s a video…
    https://vimeo.com/88067962
  • Elements like the closed zipper could be done with a single texture map on a surface as there isn’t a lot of 3D detail there.

I hope that helps!