Perpendicular line to curve from given points

Hi,
I’m new in grasshoper, I hope you can help me with what I’m trying to solve.

I attached a .rh file with few curves (in blue) and few points (in green). (Fig 1)
What I am aiming is to find the perpendicular line between these given points and the curve.
I start by dividing the curve in 3 so GH can limit this search and focus only in these three points on the curve. Another thing I will do is limit the given points and divide them through 6 sections (as in Fig2), again to try to limit GH to these given points when calculating the perpendicular line.

I reach a point where I’m struggling in making this ‘resulting line’ (which I’m not sure if it should be a SDL Line or just a Line) perpendicular to the initial curve (in blue).
Can anyone help me with this, please?

Thank you in advance!

fig1|690x388

make perp line through points and given curve.3dm (128.9 KB)
make perp line through points and given curve.gh (11.5 KB)

You have 305 points and 6 curves ; are you want create perpendicular lines between all these points and the curves?
All perpendicular lines are radius of circles around the curves

Hi @arq.lilianacarvalho,

Ignore my other post i got confused by the PointCloud component.

After re-reading your question i assume you want to connect all points to one of the 6 curves each, although youre input curves are a bit short at the bottom to get nice results
See if this is what you are after:

make perp line through points and given curve.gh (16.1 KB)

Hi!

To answer your question: yes I do, tough I would divide the selection of points as showed in Fig2 - to limit the range of solutions.
Tough this a very useful strategy/thinking you showed, as I might create a dimension range that sorts out the lines (radius of circles) I’ll choose from.

The closest points to the curve lines given (blue) should be the ones to choose, tough I might use this structure to limit my ‘frame of choice’ through a dimensional value.

Thank you so much!

Hi!

Thank you! Yes it is :slight_smile:

I will now apply a range for their dimension, so I will understand which lines to pick from.
I guess I got confused with the perpendicular bit.

Thank you so much, just saved my day!

Lando.schumpich, can I ask you one thing?

Why do I have to graft the Crv CP and the element B on component Ln? Why are the component related with points need to be graft? I’m sorry this must be basic, but I’m new to this and details matter :expressionless:

thank you in advance

@arq.lilianacarvalho, this video by david who created grasshopper might help you understand a bit why i grafted the CrvCP https://vimeo.com/channels/datatreegh/79914772 .

basically i want to find the closest point for all 6 curves thats why i graft the input of point, then gh automatically matches the data and returns a datatree with the same number of branches as the number of input points, each containing 6 elements (one closest point for every curve).

Thats pretty much the same as using list item on your 6 curves and vreating one CrvCP per curve but way less work and easier to change.
Learning about datatrees in general will really benefit your grasshopper definitions :slight_smile: