Perforated Surface

Hi all,
I am new to Rhino and Grasshopper and I have two issues while trying to make a perforated surface.

i) I can’t do “set one surface” on Grasshopper with the surface I made in Rhino, I can only do that after I exploded that surface into few segments. Can I do it without explosion?
ii) How can I keep the same distance between all the circular pattern? Some of them are intersecting with each other as shown in the picture. I don’t mind those circular pattern on the edges are being trimmed irregularly.

I would be very grateful for any help.

Rhino.3dm (663.2 KB)
Grasshopper.gh (8.4 KB)

Hi @adamsim5509

i) you are creating this surface by extruding a curve? If is so, then as far I can tell this method actually returns a “open extrusion”, not a surface. So, when you explode this “open extrusion” you get the “surface” (that actually look like a surface to us humans, but Rhino interprets diferently)

ii) To achieve the same distance between all the circles, you can divide by the amount of u and v division that you want by the linear dimension of your surface, and the output is the diameter of your circles. I used “divide lenght” to divide the surface edges so I can get the grid size be the same size trough the surface (you may get different spacings if your surface is curved). Take a look at the definition!

But, lookout for curves surfaces, It may not be equal distancing at some circles. I recommend you use the “divide lenght” component to create the pattern and then create the perforations.

Hope it helps!

Grasshopper.gh (8.2 KB)