"Penguin display" RH6

Ha, how wrong can one be?

How appropriate - seasons greetings to you too! :hatching_chick:
And this is just great - instant NPR on demand.

I probably got into that shading mode by AltTAB'ing between applications.
And, yes, just jogging the view gets it back to standard shading. Just leave it in!

3 Likes

Nice, could we have this hidden feature in rendered mode too?
It only works in shaded mode for me.

@Holo
It does work in Rendered mode… but it only works with standard light sources… the skylight has no direction to it… The NPR algorithm requires a source and direction in order to compute the highlighted sections. I could force a light (i.e. A headlamp), but where’s the fun in that?

3 Likes

Voila! Rendered mode…

1 Like

@wim @Holo

I should also point out that if you hold down the TAB during a view capture, it will also work… even for larger than screen captures (i.e. Scale > 1).

-J

1 Like

@Holo

If you turn the Sun on (or just add a directional light)…Then you can continue to use the Skylight as well…but you’ll most likely need to crank the intensity way down on the skylight…

6 Likes

Or even better…(This one takes a bit more work though…)

With just the Skylight ON…
Use TestShowShadowMap to get the Skylight shadows showing…
Capture the shadow map.
Turn OFF the shadow map by running TestShowShadowMap again
Turn OFF the Skylight
Capture the frame again holding the TAB key down

Now using something like PhotoShop, use the two captured images and just multiply them together using image arithmetic.

That’s how I got these results…

10 Likes

that is awesome! can you make a .ini and publish this? adding silhouette on top would be awesome too!

1 Like

Hi Jeff,

any more gems like that come to your mind you can share ? :wink:

1 Like

@Jarek
Well there’s this one…but unfortunately it sounds like it doesn’t work for you (yet) due to the z-buffer issue :(…

But if you grab large view captures of both the shadow map and depth map (z-buffer)…and multiply those together…you can get some pretty interesting results.

4 Likes

Nice! With that test command one can quickly create “elements” to put together for Cast Shadows, AO, Depth and color and compose as-needed in Photoshop. I think it should be doable to automate getting all of them at once.

I owe you some sample files that fail with ZDepth hi-res capture… on my list. I will follow up in the proper thread.

-j

Awesome easter egg! Keep it in, definitely.

I’m only wondering how does the Z-buffer ‘trick’ work. When I use the command showzbuffer my screen is all black (or white if I invert the colours).

Nice!
I love this! And it would be awsome with a «render» stack option where users could capture different modes to layers and add them together and tweak like that.
NPR is greater than realism for lot’s of situations!
(Btw I am at the cabin for easter, so there will br little online activity from me)

That would be great - thought about it instantly but didn’t dare to wish :wink:

Imagine and advanced ViewCapture that produces a layered PSD with separated output for:

• Diffuse/color (no shadows, no lines)
  • Cast Shadows (multiply mode)
  • Skylight Shadows (multiply mode)
  • Zbuffer (layer off by default, or as alpha channel)
  • Curves / Edges (multiply mode)

Possible ?

–jarek

1 Like

@Holo @Jarek

This has been something I’ve been wanting to do for years…You guys have only scratched the surface of what I’d really like to do here… I’d like to stay away from using the term “layers” though, and I really don’t want use anything related to Rhino’s layering system… It might work for what we’re talking about here, but it would probably be like forcing the square peg through the round hole… A new Panel Tab is probably where I’d like to start things… Some kind of Rhino Compositor / Post Rendering tools… Hey, we’ll call it Rhino Compost! LOL :slight_smile:

-J

8 Likes

This is something I was wishing for (quietly) for years.

Call it Elements, Passes, Components… anything, really. One more “Element” that comes to mind now is “Normals”… but please tell us what more is possible, if we are only scratching the surface. New panel is a good idea. So - would you be able to write as PSD file ?
“Compost” - love it. Onion, maybe? Both good if RMA expands its naming convention to plants…

Can you make a YT item for this? Assign to Bob.

-Pascal

Nah, that would be a Pickle…

@Jeff - to be clear, the wish was for ScreenCaputred elements form Rhino Viewports, without touching any rendering engine. The display is great as-is, especially for NPR, and keeps getting better…

1 Like

JeffGL is our fave render engine for daily work.

2 Likes