Origami pattern fold in GH

Hi everyone,

I am trying to create a script for the yoshimura pattern (origami) and am stuck within my script. I have built up the script so it is completely parametric, starting off with the creation of a base module and then copying these into a pattern. Now copying in the x direction is easy since the kinematics remain the same, however copying to the y direction gives problems as when folding this pattern it automatically should fold into a barrel vault. This means there is a rotation needed between each row of modules in the y direction. Does anybody know how to do this in a way that it stays adjustable to the amount of modules used in both x and y direction? Attached some images of what the problem is and what is should look like, also attached the gh script.

Thanks in advance!

Regards, Sjoerd

Yoshimura forum.gh (19.4 KB)
yoshimura%20barrel%20vault

Not at the pc atm. Maybe this thread helps

There are also many others out in the forums

The angle is slightly off, but maybe this gets you started.

yoshimura_re.gh (35.8 KB)

Thanks for the replies! However I am looking for a way to rotate each new copy in the Y direction according to a specific angle (this angle is set in the new attached GH file, and is the angle to connect the faces of the copies). Each new copy should therefore also start at the end point of the previous copy, which in the end will result in a circular shape. Does anybody know how to do this? Find attached a newer version of my GH file.180808 Yoshimura Forum.gh (24.9 KB)

I solved it using the anemone plugin in order to loop the movement and rotation of the modules in y direction. I attached the file.180809 Yoshimura.gh (32.1 KB)
Yoshimura%20curved%20finished

180808 Yoshimura Forum_re.gh (19.7 KB)

This is an example of how solving your problem using almost only “Orient” and transformation data.
(in your case the geometry is repetitive and symmetrical, so…)

Using just transformation datas and only lately transforming an actual geometry lighten thing up and speed up whole definition.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot! This definition is so much easier!