Optimal Set Up for a Quadro GPU

Hi there,

I’m using a new Quadro P4000 GPU for a few days now and am not sure, if I’ve set it up properly.
Driver | The card uses the most recent driver version.
Nvidia 3D Setup | After some online research, I set up the Global Preset (Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Setting > Global Setting > Global Presets) to Workstation App - Dynamic Streaming, with the Power Management Mode put on Prefer Maximum Performance.
Rhino Setup | In Rhino, the Quadro is recognised without any problem. The setup there looks like that - Antialising: 4x / Mip-Map: Nearest / Antroposophic: Middle.

I’m currently working on a big scale city planing model, but it doesn’t have that much detail yet. The file size is about 150 mb. I’m working in meters, and when I set up the Maximum distance edge to surface in the Rhino mesh settings to 0.1 (m), the viewport doesn’t really run smoothly.
Is there something I can do to get more out of the Quadro or isn’t there anything more I can do to smoothen my viewport experience?

Thanks in advance!

(John Brock) #2

I’m running a Quadro P2000 with those settings, driving two 27" monitors.
I’ve also used TestWireThicknessScale, enabled, with a setting of 0.4 and AA set to 8x to get nice crisp wires on my screen.
So far it’s been really good.

Hmmm. In my case there are also two (24") monitors connected. But I don’t think, that this means that much.

On my other workstation (also with dual displays), I use a 4GB GTX 970 and the whole viewport topic doesn’t really look a lot worse there. I expected the 8GB, OpenGL-optimized profi-GPU to significantly improve the viewport fps on big models. I know, that the viewports in Rhino 6 are very optimized, but I didn’t want to switch Rhino versions mid project…

PS_ I didn’t quite get the TestWireThicknessScale thing and google didn’t help either.

Update_ The TestWireT… seems to be a Rhino 6 topic. Dear John, do You use the new Rhino. If so, no wonder, that Your viewports work so good.

(John Brock) #4

Thank You. I guess I should switch to Rhino 6, in order to get nice running viewports.
But good to know, my Quadro is set up properly.