Old GH site search engine

Ah I see. It doesn’t seem to work for other user’s name strings though (here’s Daniel Piker for instance). Amir’s custom Google search does though (on my system/cookies at least). Anywho, either way, those are not really solutions that replace having the discussions menu item back on the user profile (unless they’re reliable and everyone knows about them i.e. to search to find all discussions by a specific user).

Daniel Piker’s profile page comes up for me on the search. But it is the Ning Profile.

The new discourse profile is too new to climb up the search index. For instance Daniel’s page is: https://discourse.mcneel.com/u/danielpiker/summary

I will monitor this and see what happens over time.

Right, his profile page does:

But not his discussions page, which (again) is what we’re asking to be reinstated to the personal profile pages (as per my first post on this topic above). For reference here’s what happens on searching my name:

Again, what we’re asking specifically here is to have the Discussions menu point on the personal profile pages back (why was it even removed in the first place?), such that we have access to a complete and chronological overview of our old discussions on the Grasshopper Ning forum.

I added a new checkbox above the search. You can use the checkbox to limit the search to the grasshopper3d website.

I hope this gives people the control they need.

2 Likes

Ah, “all” might have been a bit of an exaggeration! Just Nik’s stuff is gone.
Do you have to remove all his content? Seems you are punishing anyone who found it useful.

2 Likes

While that’s a terrific step in the right direction, it does not address the concern I am trying to address (i.e. add the Discussions menu point back to the personal profile page). Anywho, I found a method for locating my own and have bookmarked it, so I’ll stop badgering now :wink:

Edit: Specifically:

1. Go to your Blog Posts, Groups, Photos, or Videos and copy your unique user ID string:

1. Append this string to this URL:

www.grasshopper3d.com/forum/topic/listForContributor?user=

1. Enjoy a complete and chronological list of your posts :beers:

Interesting thread. I couldn’t agree more. It’s not just the search results either, its the whole ethos of the old forum that feels like its changing. I really appreciated the sort of old internet feel of the Ning site. It felt like a place to share work and find new ideas. Here in discourse, everything feels more technical and dry. The groups are not the same, the personal profile pages are not the same. I understand that the idea is to consolidate everything rhino related here in discourse, but it just feels like there was something unique about grasshopper3D.com that is going to be lost forever.

Yes. It brings back memories of June 2013 with every new post in this thread :sunglasses:
Man - How I long back to NNTP!
(Not).

Just hit the META category and read the first few posts in June 2013.
Like this one…

But, yes, it did hurt for a short while…

I agree with you Andrew that there is something just about right that pulls the community together with Ning. I hope over time we can create something similar with some of the other technologies we are working on.

We are riding that Ning site for as long as we can and at the same time trying to get the community up and running on newer technology.

I don’t believe the removal of his content was intentional. Just the after effect of an account being removed.

There are still people posting to the gallery on the old site; that would always be my eyes’ first destination. I know there’s a gallery here - somewhere - but who’s availing themselves of it? Not many. If the micro-managed dashboard is compressed slightly there is probably enough room on the right side of the screen for a similar display here, as long as we’re creating a wishlist.

I agree with Ethan. I believe the grasshopper gallery is nice for quickly seeing updates of projects people are working on, showing what a new plug-in can do or new ways of using specific plug-ins. The gallery here is more hidden and is by creating a topic which, to me, feels more like only finished projects belong there.

Hey found this new company that does internal search

zoomd.com

Looks pretty good