New forum shock and request for orientation?

OMG! I haven’t been on the forum in such a while and went to the old hangout to find a foreclosure sign on the door!!! …

Whoa! what a shock. I love that old site! it taught me so much and had such a unique friendly fascinating family vibe to it…on this new layout: where are the pics and videos I can scroll through for inspiration and where are the events and members and friends and groups pages and tutorials?! and can i customize this discourse? I feel like the white is burning my eyeballs!

omg forum panic setting in! I’m sure I’ll get used to it but I’m gonna pour out a little whisky in memory of the old home town… :cry:
but hey I just noticed we get emojis here so I guess there is that :neutral_face: :slight_smile:

the best part of the old forum was the serendipity of discovering something new from just visually wandering around… feel like this new format lacks that…

sooooo… is there an orientation map that helps old users adapt to this new forum?
That being said big thanks always to the people on the gh forum!!! all the advice over the years is so much appreciated and many thanks for many future answers!
Ethan

1 Like

Sure, just use the dark theme \heartsuit:

Giving you the soothing

I feel you. But I have to say, after a while, I really liked it. I just miss some simple photo gallery. I know, we got some gallery here, but it‘s not as much used as the old one. I think because you have to create a new thread, it feels like it’s more for whole projects. Even when the old one gets spammed by 500 photos of the same project, i visit it once a day.

I feel the same, and requested this before but so far there’s been no real response or update:

Yeah, the green colours of the old grasshopper3d forum were a lot more soothing on the eye … I made a custom stylesheet some time ago to swap out most of the blues - here’s what it looks like for me:

You’ll have to install some browser extension like StyleBot to override the CSS:

body {
    background-color: #f2feda;
}

header {
    background-color: #99d557;
}

.post-stream, .list-container, #suggested-topics {
    border-color: #b8d69f;
    border-width: 1px;
    border-style: solid;
    background-color: #fff;
    padding-left: 10px;
    padding-bottom: 5px;
}

.btn {
    box-shadow: 0 0 1px 0px #666;
}

.btn-primary {
    background-color: #6ead44;
}

.alert.alert-info {
    background-color: #bff76d;
}

1 Like

The only thing I really miss about the old forum was that there were more show and tell threads. Since everything wasn’t just a general help area, I have a feeling people would share completed projects or WIPs more often. It really helps to gain knowledge to see what others are doing, not just seeing (mostly beginner) issues.

There is nothing to prevent you, or anyone else, from doing so on this forum.

I for one would love to see more of that.

The old Gh site is increasingly moribund but the Gallery here, considering that it serves the entire Rhino community, is even more of a content desert. One difference that makes the old Gh photo gallery more approachable is that you can see thumbnails, while on this site there is only a verbal description to entice you, and then, only for one project at a time. It would seem in Rhino’s interest to have more people see what can be done with it; it’s about as a cheap a form of advertising as you could hope for.