Not allowed to set "by layer" per face color

Anyone know what could cause this?

GIF 2021-10-01 11-37-45

by-layer-color.3dm (533.6 KB)

Hello - that is just not supported as far as I can see, you’ll need to work the other way round.

-Pascal

Are you saying that once you set a custom color you can never go back? Or what is “the other way around”?

If I select the entire object, the color already says “by layer” (which is a bit misleading… it should perhaps say “mixed”) and if I select it again, nothing happens.

I just tried RemovePerFaceColors, and then I was able to start over but it’s not a great user experience.

Well, your report is not exactly 100% clear but it looks to me like you are trying to set per-face color to by layer. As far as I can see that is not allowed, and I would set the top level object to by layer and the faces that need to be different from that to whatever.

-Pascal

Ah, ok… so RemovePerFaceColors is necessary then, ie you need to start over on the entire object…

That seems a bit inflexible and wasted some time for me, so I hope that when @johnc refactors the per face material handling (as mentioned here), per face colors will also be taken into account.

Hi @pascal, on another sort of related note, what does ‘by parent’’ mean. I’ve never seen this applied or fully understood it.

Hello - see
https://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/7/help/en-us/index.htm#properties/object.htm?Highlight=%22By%20Parent%22

does that do it?

-Pascal

1 Like