New VR RT render plugin - Enscape3D

never heared about enscape before last week. i take a look at their website and so i tried the plugin.
quality is impressive and very very fast. in five minutes you take a render acceptable. never seen nothing similar before seems to be a really definitive solution for architects but i think is unusable for some reasons

1. impossible to create a lot of material with rhino default mat. editor, for example i tried several time to creare a simple metal without success…what i achieve is a simple material in which i can change the diffuse color, i’m not sure but in “sketchup” they created an own material editor and works fine.

2. is not enougth integrated in rhino, no viewport rendering,you must manage your settings in a extra windows with a loss of time so unerstand what works and what doesn’t
    what i liked:
    few really important options available and you will understand what you must change in very low time, so good learning curvature, the quality rendering is really good, availlable as plugin for rhino,sketchup and revit

Right, some material effects are impossible like milk glass or metallic car paint with clear finish. But a simple metal you get if you write “metal” in the name of the material.

Since you get a RT feedback at your output window it shouldn’t be such a big problem that there is now material preview or? I would like to get the output within a viewport too, since I’m fighting with the floating output window often.

i tried several times to write metal but unsucessful , i guess due the italian localization of rhino(works only fot water and grass)

another loss
the infinite plane in rhino doen’t work at all, inside enscape, so it’s really impossible at moment use it also as rendering engine for studio rendering for example, due the loss of catch shadows on a support-plane.

Did you set gloss and reflectivity?

Infinite ground for studio shots? Could you not use a soft backround, not flat? Or a big flat surface, maybe a big single quad mesh?

On the other side - for studio shots of design objects the material system is quite limited. Enscape is more an architecture tool.

Hi Micha,

Thank you for your message, it is this kind of valuable feedback that helps us improving Enscape.
Below the answers to your questions:

When can be seen the new Enscape material editor at Rhino?

We are forecasting to integrate the Enscape material editor into Rhino along with V 2.4 which is planned in about 3 to 5 months. But we are still at the very beginning of the preparation phase which makes it difficult to confirm at this stage.

Is the old important material ID color bugs fixed? (Rhino API still reports different materials with different IDs)

We are currently working to use the new Rhino6-API in the Rhino6-Plugin. The material/ID color bug should be solved in Rhino 6.

When are Enscape setups saved to Rhino? The global setup list is growing and more unuseable from week to week.

We are aware of the inconvenience caused by this problem. Unfortunately, at this stage, we cannot say when it is going to be solved.

At long distance the interior lighting is destroyed, if clipping planes are used. Is there a chance to get it working? (https://forum.enscape3d.com/index.php?thread/1707-view-distance-is-changing-light-calculation-only-wide-angle-lens-works/)

Thank you, Micha for letting us know about this.

It’s cumbersome to adjust the camera target for each view (for DOF) - could it be possible to link the Enscape camera to the Rhino camera?

Technically it should be possible, if more users express this need we could think of linking both cameras.

Are the Rhino lens length used for batch render and standalone export now? Without using the lens length per view the batch render function isn’t so useful.

This is currently not implemented but it sounds interesting. Thank you for letting us know.

The camera link is standard at any render package for Rhino. I’m sure no user would like to manual set the focus, if it could be easy done by the saved view. During a project I rendered dozen of views and for each I need to adjust the lens length. This was a lot of extra work.

Often I need to render interior views - different lens length are need for different sized rooms and lens effects. It’s a pity that all views needs to be manual rendered and the batch render doesn’t work. And if I send standalones to my client, than it’s a pity that only one lens length can be used for the PC screen VR presentation.

Still hoping to see this features in not so long time. :wink:

Does enscape support IES in someway?
a trick to make work ies inside rhino?

Enscape is using the Rhino render UI only and there is no IES parameter to set. So, we can’t use IES.

I saw In SketchUp, they introduced an own pop-up to manage ligths and load ies file to perform illumination, why not in Rhino? It s a shame

1 Like

My impression is the simple answer is - the team hasn’t enough resources. I had dozen of ideas for needed features (and bug fixes) based on more than 10 years pro rendering per Rhino, but … I try to be patient.

hopefully, there is new version in the future to support ies file in rhinos. it can boost up a lot for the quality of renderings in interior field.

I’m not sure why you’re replying to a 4-year-old thread, but I wouldn’t really hold my breath, they’re kind of an obsolete and/or extremely niche thing. IES files are nothing special, they’re just a spherical map of light distribution that’s supposed to match some actual light fixture when used with primitive 20-century-rendering-tech light sources. Whoopee? Modern path tracers let you put actual 3D light sources in actual 3D fixtures and get a much more realistic result.

Not sure what you think, but for instance Cycles (modern) supports IES textures. This isn’t supported via the Rhino GUI yet, but could be hooked up relatively easily.

Yes, please @nathanletwory! Would love to have IES support. Wo do a lot of lamps, and currently move to Keyshot for rendering with the IES profiles provided from the various bulp, COBLED etc. providers. Would it be through the emmision channel, like HDRI is?
TIA, Jakob