New user needing some advice on workflow

Hi, I’ve spend a few weeks playing around with all the commands of rhino. But a few things remain unclear.

1. So what is the real advantage of using rhino vs other tools such as zbrush, which can produce organic and hard surface shapes for 3D printing.

2. How popular are plugins among rhino users? In other words, can I use rhino as is and still be able to efficiently make prototypes for jewellery?

We’re a training provider in HK, 3D is something new to us so any advice would be appreciated.

S. Ding

Hi there,

I guess the first question I would ask you would be what is your experience in general with 3D modelling? Experience in jewellery modelling?
There is quite a difference between creative 3D modelling and industry specific plugins.
Plugins such as Rhino Gold automate/simplify and enable jewellery specific functions to be used within Rhino. There are libraries, tools for gems, pave, ring sizing etc etc. You can use presets and create your own. In saying this, without knowledge of jewellery manufacturing and also traditional bench work I feel these types of plugins can only take one so far. Also, being that plugins are just that, plugins into a main piece of software, you need knowledge of the software to really utilise all functionality. ZBrush and Rhino are essentially incomparable. Together they are a powerful combination. ZBrush has a very steep learning curve. For accuracy and precision you cannot go past Rhino. ZBrush is best used with a Wacom or similar. Think of ZBrush as sculpting/freeform…think of Rhino as precision and incredible surface control. T-Splines is also a great companion for Rhino and ZBrush.

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed info :smiley: and sorry for the late reply…

I am fairly experienced with 3D modelling as part of animation pipeline, but a complete newbie in jewellery space, the concept of NURBS modelling is also new to me, I always think in edge loops and switching to NURBS is proving quite a challenge. I made this ring in Rhino and retopologized/uv/exported it with ZBrush. During the process I watched a ton of webinars, but still I haven’t had my ‘aha’ moment where the core advantage of Rhino became clear. I must be missing something all together.

In terms of precision in Rhino, can you please elaborate? Am I wrong in thinking numeric units are irrelevant in 3D as long as your model respects the proportions specified in the design sketch?

Hi there Siuling,

So sorry for the late reply. Is it possible for you to contact me via email?
I am happy to provide more advice or guidance with regards to workflow etc.

Contact me on : rupert@rupertenberg.com

Cheers!

1 Like