Jewelry modeling

I used to use Matrix for jewelry CAD. I’m out of that business so I can’t justify the expense to maintain that platform, but would still like to do jewelry designs on occasion. Are there libraries of gem settings available, or other jewelry plug-ins that aren’t quite as sophisticated, or expensive? What do Rhino when building jewelry cad models who don’t have an application specific plug-in like Matrix?

thanks,

TL

1 Like

@scrappydog1958 I use Rhino 5 and Sub-d (T-Splines) for all my jewellery. I paid for Rhinogold 4 way back…but very rarely use any of it’s tools. Mainly only use the gem/materials library now.

For placing gems and claws etc on surfaces I use Jarek`s Orient Object on Object.

For distributing objects I use Pascal`s script.

https://wiki.mcneel.com/people/pascalgolay

If you want some thing more like Matrix then perhaps you could look at this new software. I believe the brother of the creator of Rhinogold is developing it. I stumbled across it on the website of the Rhino reseller that I got my copy from way back. No idea if it is any good…but cheaper than Matrix.

cheers,
Sochin

1 Like

Dear Sochin,

Thank you so much for the most interesting post. I’ll look into all of the tools you referenced this week. I’m using Rhino 6; should I assume they’ll all be upward compatible?

Best,

Thomas

have you looked at

https://www.food4rhino.com/browse?searchText=jewel&form_build_count=1&f[0]=im_field_term_reference_category%3A698

1 Like

No, but I have now!!! many thanks.

Thomas

I used matrix for almost 3 years. During that time I became aware of matrix’s limitations and began developing my own tools using grasshopper which were better tailored to my work flow. I find the peacock plugin to be of great help especially the flow components which you need to use a lot for jewellery modelling.

Grasshopper scripts can replace most of the tools in matrix and then some.

Dear Michael,

Thanks so much for sharing. I don’t know about Peacock so I’ll have to look into it.

Kindly,

Thomas

@scrappydog1958 For sub-d you will have to find another tool as t-splines is no longer sold and was only developed for Rhino 5 if you can get a secondhand copy. Do a forum search for “alternatives to t-splines” as there are many posts here on the subject.

Rhino are developing their own sub-d for hopefully Rhino 7 but until then I will stay in Rhino 5.

I think from memory @Jarek told me his Orient plugin should work in Rhino 6 but not sure. It is free so download it and try.

With regards to @pascal script for distribute I do not know if it will work in Rhino 6…some of the functionality it brought to Rhino 5 might have been included in Rhino 6. Once again free so you can always download it and try.

cheers,
Sochin

Hello - Distribute is indeed a native command in V6.

-Pascal

1 Like

Hi @scrappydog1958,

I’m Xavier from the 2Shapes team,

I would suggest checking out our new jewelry plug-in: https://www.2shapes.com/rhino

We will release it by next week!

Feel free to contact me if you need anything :grinning:

1 Like

Thank you. How much will this plug-in cost?

TL

1 Like

Thanks for your interest @scrappydog1958

2Shapes for Rhino will be completely free.

2 Likes

I just looked at the link.
It is very neatly done. In the world where nothing comes for free what you make profit on?

Just checked again. Not really for free, Your statement at the bottom of the page is misleading.

2 Likes

Hi @Piotr,

Our main business is 2Shapes Cloud, which covers 4 areas: Store, Ecommerce, Design and Manufacturing.

By other hand 2Shapes for Rhino is a design solution based on Rhino.

I don’t understand why the statement at the bottom is misleading, could you please elaborate?

1 Like

You offer free product, which is true, but it is more to me like:
Have a winter tyres free but you need to buy a car at us.
I don’t model jewelry. I think only one who does can describe a real value of your free product.

2 Likes

What’s the business model here? How do you make money with this platform? This is really important as I do not want to invest time and resource in a platform that isn’t sustainable?

Kindly,

Thomas

2 Likes

Hi @Piotr,

Thanks for your comments!! You don’t need to buy any of our product in order to use 2Shapes for Rhino. :slight_smile:

@scrappydog1958 2Shapes, is more than modeling, also in a software for stores, ecommerce and manufacturing management.

As a CEO of 2Shapes, and Rhino lover since 1998, I think is not bad idea to have a direct integration from Rhino to 2Shapes! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Rafa

1 Like

Hello Xavier,

Please do post to this thread when the plug -in is available.

Thank you,

Andy

1 Like

@rafadelmolino @xavier.2shapes are you the same Rafa and Xavier from Rhinogold? I heard you were doing something Grasshopper based. Is this it?

edit…I just went to the page link from Xaviers post…you state your history with Rhinogold there. Good luck with the new project.

cheers,
Sochin

2 Likes

@scrappydog1958 it would appear to me from my short time looking at it that the design software is free to use for Rhino users.

I am guessing that the benefit to 2Shapes of this is that they are building a community of CAD jewellery designers that are familiar and integrated into their platform (to some extent) that is a resource for the less CAD educated users of their pay to use integrated design to sale system.

You will be part of the worldwide designer list that is one of the platform features…I am guessing.

1 Like