New UI: First impressions (Huh?)

I will see if I can reproduce this one.

RH-69840 is fixed in the latest WIP

Going to write this here while it is still in mind, I decided to try to set up the workspace, figured out how to get my properties & layers on the left, how to get my tabs on the top, and then went to close the Help panel (I think), right-clicked its tab, clicked Close container, and the whole panel disappeared. Ok, so thatā€™s what is meant by Container. So I went to main menu > Panels and clicked Rendering, figuring this would get back my panel, but instead, absolutely everything except main menu & viewports disappeared ā€“ toolbars, panels, command line, everything is gone.

Donā€™t know if repeatable yet, just writing down exactly what happened before I forget.

[edit: killed rhino.exe and it came back up as before, so thatā€™s good]

[edit 2: yes it is repeatable, system info & vid attached below, system info shows substance plugin, but it is not showing up as installed in package manager]

systeminfo.txt (2.6 KB)

This has been reported and logged as RH-70153

Could you export and attach your workspace so I can attempt to reproduce your layout?

how do you do that

[edit: I guess this is it]
workspace.rhw (24.0 KB)

Thanks for bringing horizontal panels but why we canā€™t have them in multiple rows like in V7?

or am i missing extension somewhere?

Hi Piotr -

No, you are not missing anything.
RH-70159 Panels: Allow rows of tabs
-wim

You can export from the workspaces dialog.

Yeah I finally found that, was looking for something in Toolbar Layout.

I attached your file to the bug report and will see what I can figure out today.

1 Like

Iā€™ve just updated to the latest WIP and it looks as though the new UI setup has wiped out the previous toolbar setup Iā€™d created. Iā€™d assumed that the change to Containers, vector buttons etc might do that, so itā€™s no big deal. Itā€™ll give me a chance to play around with Containers.

One thing though: How do I get the Popup toolbar to stay permanently visible while Iā€™m setting it up? Do I need ot create a new floating Container (if thatā€™s a thing) and start from scratch? I have a lot of butons to add - a 7x8 grid - and I need to add 3 tabs (again, custom toolbars) to it as well.

1 Like

For panels that donā€™t have headers or icons (e.g. Osnaps and Selection filters) it might make sense to at least allow users to choose whether or not to display an icon on the left hand side of a panel. That would help differentiate between them.
See (names in red are just for annotation purposes):

Also, can there be some spacing between the icons? They are really cramped together here now.

Thereā€™s a bug with pinning and icon scales. For the pins, if I grab the container out of its docked position, the pin bar remains. I need to double click it twice to ā€˜refreshā€™ it.

I also donā€™t see the tab icons update after confirming the options:

And finally, I would like to have an option to set different icon sizes for the tabs that are pinned than the tabs that are shown horizontally. The reason being, I want a larger hitbox for pinned tabs (hence the spacing request also), but I donā€™t want the tab to be extremely large when it is horizontally, because it already has plenty of space in that situation.

Overall, I really like where this is going, despite the initial issues.

I canā€™t seem to be able to pin containers that I dock to the left hand border of the screen, is that the way itā€™s supposed to work?