New UI - Dark mode - final (colour) adjustments?

I would like to now if it is possible to make some final appearance issues for the new UI. For instance, the options window still shows in bright colours. I also think it is a weird choice that the active window widget in the bottom left corner uses Window colour 1 for inactive and Window colour 2 for active (perspective in this case). That makes it hard to properly differentiate between the two if you want a muted colour scheme.

The checkboxes cannot be altered in appearance. Take a look at Blender, where you can make enabled checkboxes with a highlight colour or a muted colour.

In Blender, you can also have a black bar for the application windows, depending on the colour theme. In Rhino, they remain white. It may also be nice to have alternating rows of lighter and darker colours for the layers panel, like in Blender’s outliner. Would make for better visual differentiation between layers.

Apart from that, I’m pretty happy with the new interface I made, appearance wise.

1 Like

I also noticed that the text disabled colour influences parts of the UI that are not necessary disabled buttons, such as the outlines for layer colour and material:

Moreover, if I hide the outline layer, there’s no telling that there are actually buttons in the layer panel to make a layer the current layer (see left-most collumn). This needs to be addressed as well.

Hoi -

On the list as RH-72475 Dark Mode: No dark mode version of the Options dialog

RH-72477 Dark Mode: Background color of inactive checkboxes
-wim

2 Likes

Thanks for adding the checkboxes to the list @wim!
What about the inactive text affecting the material and layer colour outlines? Is that also something that could still be addressed?

Is there any thought to making the viewports automatically go dark for Dark mode as well? I know that we can change this ourselves in the Options, I was simply surprised to see the same light grey background and grid when I switched to dark mode.

Could it automatically go dark like one in @Intuos first screenshot? Or something like this?

1 Like

It might be due to the default layer colours, because with a dark mode, you cannot choose one of the darker greys. I guess McNeel kept the medium grey as it is more flexible in that sense. Though I was suprised to see it as well.

Hoi -

On the list as RH-72805 UI Cleanup: TextDisabled sets more than disabled text

I’m afraid I never understood that part…
-wim

Hi @wim

Thanks for adding it tot the list.

It’s not that difficult to understand, I’ll show you what I mean to make it easier for both of us :wink:

Basically, if I change the outline colour (the outline is the border of the cells in the layer panel), the button of the active layer is no longer discernible.

There’s just no proper indication of where you can or cannot click to activate a layer.
Layer fields outline

Ideally, the layers would be (optionally) styled with alternating rows, like you see in actual tables:

And they should have actually clickable buttons to make a layer the current layer:
afbeelding
This then indicates where I can click as opposed to the current Rhino interface. Hope this example is clear with the checkboxes.

Unfortunately, one of the previous WIP versions crashes when I make changes to the window colours, so can’t show you exactly what I mean, but hope it’s clear nonetheless.

1 Like

Strange enough, I think I have found a colour for which I am not sure it is actually theme-able. In V7, this colour never showed, but it does in the WIP. Looking at the advanced settings and the appearance > color settings, I don’t see any similar colour on the list.
It’s for the one used to hover over dialog buttons

As you can see, it was still blue in Rhino 7 in an earlier version of my UI theme: