New to this modelling stuff - need a bit of advice on polar hole array!

Go easy on me… I’ve got a solid plane that I’ve successfully added a polar hole array to (micro perforations in a material)… all ok so far…

However, I d like to make 5 copies of that array along the length of the object - is that possible? Many thanks…

You have to make copies of the “holes” before you boolean difference them away.

Or make it all in 2D then extrude all curves at once (including the outline of the piece)

Good luck.

(I could have given you more info, but I kept it simple and to a minimum since you asked us to be gentle :wink: )

Thank you! I knew I’d overcomplicated it using the hole tool. Redrafted in 2D only > Polar array of tiny holes - grouped - then linear array of that to make 6-up. Extruded the whole lot in one go and passed over to Keyshot…

This 3D CAD malarky is a bit tricky for an Adobe Illustrator boy… :grimacing:

Won’t be long until I’m stuck again…but getting further quicker with Rhino than anything I’ve dabbled in before!

Thanks again!

1 Like

probably the easiest way is with rectangle array.

In your image, I would only array in the x-axis

leave y & z set to 1. If you want to do a rectangle then add more to y-axis.

If you then want to create holes with the circles, select curves

then with all the circle highlighted, select Trim and then click inside each circle to delete the section of your surface.

IHTH «Randy

Thanks all for the tips!

Actually enjoying this CAD stuff more than I thought I would - managed to avoid it for half my life…

:slight_smile:

Hey, it might also be worth checking out how the ‘history’ works. In this way you can still change parameters of your operations, even after all the duplications. What could be possible for example, is to change the hole size afterwards if you do it smart.

Check out an example here:

Thank you! All great info…

…one last thing - is it possible to actually define the size of an object accurately? Only seem to be able to scale via a scaling factor - so currently bringing in Known-size DXFs for the models I need to work on but thought I’d be able to amend sizing values directly?

Thank you again…

Objects can be created with the desired size.

Objects can also be scaled directly to a size.

1. Scale and select the object to be scaled
  2. Select base point
  3. Select point which will be set to desired distance from the base point as the first reference point.
    4} For “second reference point” do not select a point. Instead enter the desired distance from the first reference point.

Or shorter:

• Single click after Scale and you can type the ‘factor’.

• Double click, if you use Scale and make a first and second reference point, you can then enter the desired length for the distance between those points instead of entering the ‘factor’ as in the single click method.

And a smart remark, philw, you could’ve easily found out yourself. Just go to youtube and type in the search bar: rhino scale. It is maybe even less of an effort than asking it on the forums :wink:

You get tons of videos explaining:

[quote=“ohmarinus, post:9, topic:22269, full:true”]
Or shorter:

• Single click after Scale and you can type the ‘factor’.

• Double click, if you use Scale and make a first and second reference point, you can then enter the desired length for the distance between those points instead of entering the ‘factor’ as in the single click method.[/quote]Second method is the same as what I described in the post above.

[quote]And a smart remark, davidcockey, you could’ve easily found out yourself. Just go to youtube and type in the search bar: rhino scale. It is maybe even less of an effort than asking it on the forums :wink:

You get tons of videos explaining:

[/quote]??? I’m not going to take time looking for a video to post a link to when it is quicker for me to type my response to a question.

Ohhh David, I’m so sorry! My comment was meant for philw! (I edited it already in my reply)