New Grasshopper bake component issue with a true/false input for baking?

@AndyPayne
There appears to be something odd going on with the new bake component. If I use a true/false button input and set the bake component’s mode to update, as soon as the value drops to a false, the baked geometry is removed from the document again.
If, Instead, I use the button that’s on the component, it works as expected. But this does mean I cannot feed-in any true/false value from my script to activate the baking for me. If Instead I supply a constant true value, the component keeps computing and bogs my system down.

Masterplan - centrelines.3dm (120.4 KB)
Bake component oddities.gh (20.9 KB)

How about this?:

Graph Space:

Model Space:

20230811_Bake component oddities_Response_01a.gh (20.4 KB)

Hi @Intuos,

The ‘Bake’ input behave like:

• Null → Does nothing
  • True → Bake Content
  • False → Unbake Content.

You can setup your Button ‘Normal state’ as Null to have the behavior you wish.

Other users may want to use a Toggle…

True

False

Or as a Value Sequence like this

Or the result of a more complex decision

4 Likes

@Kike Thanks I see now, I didn’t catch that False values Unbaked content. :+1:
Maybe the Bake input should get a tooltip like some other components have for integer inputs (e.g. offset curve):

I expect more people may be fooled by this, a tooltip might resolve the confusion.

1 Like

I never considered switching the default button state to empty. That’s a handy trick, thanks!

1 Like

Is it just me or did the update function change in the latest WIP (8.0.23234.12305, 2023-08-22)? I have been having issues with the bake component not updating my geometry, even though it used to work on a test script with a circle. If I remove the baked layer, it bakes the current state just fine. But, as you can see, both an update triggered through the component’s button or with a component pass-through results in the geometry not updating.

It appears that I need to unbake the content, rather than update it. This morning, this test script worked just fine prior to updating the WIP, but now it doesn’t. As you can see, I need to have a True input in order for the circle to remain.

Also, the same logic that helps me update my circle does not work with the script I am building:

Bake_Test.gh (15.3 KB)

So for the moment, I decided to use the workaround to delete all objects from the layer prior to baking and instead use the Insert option in the bake component. That does the trick for me. Downside is that Human’s Delete on Layer component does not delete objects on a locked layer (so then the number of curves add up quickly).

@michaelvollrath did you encounter any issues with the Content Bake component since yesterday’s WIP update?

1 Like

Thanks @kike this is interesting!

Unfortunately overwrite baking currently fails.

bake_content_fails_to_overwrite.gh (9.7 KB)

Okay, good to know it’s not just me having issues…

1 Like

:pray: 'til next wednesday then… :zzz:

Yes, It’s broken :pray:

Fixed for the next release.

2 Likes