New ETO Layer Panel

Hello!
Cool that the rewritten layer panel is ‘online’ in R8 WIP! First impressions:

• Moving these column separators left and right is glitchy. Some ‘hangs’ occur every now and then.

• Please don’t forget all the sub-panels, and make them fit for dark mode!

• It can happen that the layer panel (when undocked) gets behind the main application window.
    Repro: undock the panel, click on another open application (the browser in my case). Panel disappears. A click on the rhino window will bring it back.

• The filter functions are obviously not finished yet. When you do, please don’t forget to put the search input field into the panel’s toolbar directly.

• Are you going to support moving layers up/down by drag&drop WITHOUT making them sub-layers? So these stupid little arrows up there can finally go away.
    The way the Layouts panel works is a good example. The list items can just be moved up/down directly, and a separator line is displayed in doing do.

• It would be nice if it was possible to toggle/lock multiple layers at once by ‘swiping’ across the column. This is e.g. possible in Adobe Illustrator.

Thanks!

You moved “Change Object Layer” up in the menu! Thumbs up!
(please don’t move it back down again)

1 Like

Hi

• The flashlight and lock icon must be updated

• Choose the second color for the current layer

1 Like

… and yes: Please add an option to select the content of a layer by simply ALT-clicking on it!
(ALT would be possible because it is unused here)

Of course, if more layers are selected in the panel, all objects on all these layers should be selected this way.

3 Likes

The way it was implemented on Mac worked perfectly IMO. With those arrows it is now much more cumbersome? Can we have that functionality - as shown in the video - back? And maybe also make it available for the Windows version.

Cheers

3 Likes

We’ll get there eventually. The initial goal was to make what Windows provided cross-platform. Once we’re happy we’ve done this, we’ll make additional tune up to (hopefully) make everyone happy.

– Dale

2 Likes

Try this:

1.) Select a layer
2.) Hold your Shift key down and click in the Lock column of another layer.

This works in versions of Windows prior to the WIP (too).

– Dale

Please add an option to stretch the Layer column names bar vertically so it will display column names in the multiline fashion. Right now there is a conflict between compact icons and very long horizontal column names, I can hide the names, but it hurts readability - there is a lot to be confused between Detail, Layout, and Model column settings.

Another idea is to let users color-code these columns so all Model columns could have different backgrounds than Detail and Layout. This idea might conflict with another I saw once - color coding Layer rows - I think this might be more useful.

So maybe Layers Columns should have grayscale-semitransparent color coding which would multiply underneath colors (because there are not that many column groups one would need) and then Layer rows could have colors…

Column names are sometimes very long and they don’t play nice with compact data underneath

EDIT: So now when I started thinking about it, I would add filters to the Layers Panel that would only show selected color-coded Layer rows. - This might be very useful.

And one could have multiple Layers Panels open at the same time with different filters active (something like that is in Unreal Engine and is very useful).

and wishes goes on and on…

Please make all Panel settings independent from each other. I thought it is that way and I purposefully created a separate Container and button that toggles the full-sized Layers Panel. Unfortunately, after reopening Rhino I noticed that changes made to one Layers Panel are propagated to another.

Unreal Engine Outliners - all customized independently

I know that currently in Rhino active Layer is highlighted in the Layers Panel, so there might be a situation where the active Layer would be filtered out in different Layers Panel. To avoid that I think some kind of indication of an active Layer could be added to the Layers Panel and it should always be visible. Right now it is shown at the bottom bar of Rhino, but I don’t know if this is sufficient for everybody.

Agreed! Good idea to make the column headers multi-line!

Very late answer, sorry!
Ok, what you say is simple enough. Let’s leave it at that.

Since we are no longer in Beta, and my last post might went unnoticed I’m pointing out this issue again.

Changes to column sizes in one Layer Panel are copied to another Layer Panel after reopening Rhino.
It’s a major inconvenience if you try to have something like me, one compact Layer Panel docked on the side and another, full-sized one that you can toggle on/off to have everything about the layers displayed at once.

Before closing Rhino

After reopening - right Layers Panel took the column widths from the left one

BTW.
A small wish/idea. Similar to what we can do in Excel spreadsheets (freeze panes"), maybe it would be handy to have the ability to stick in place some columns (or at least layer name column) so they wil