Need Render Assistance with gold textured snake material

I need help to make the applied snake material a better match to the render of the wireframe, what settings should I be looking at?

The wireframe file is the actual rendered texture of a few links of a necklace. There are 60 links and it is way beyond my computers ability to render the actual textured necklace. So I am applying it as a material instead.

Attached are:
Render of the link with actual wireframe texture structure
Render of the link with snake material supplied
3 Screen captures of the Brazil settings used for the snake material render

Thanks in advance for your insights!

This looks like something that perhaps @BrianJ might have suggestions for. Brian has made a lot of Brazil material definitions and posted them for anyone to use,

Hi Annie,

your actual model looks great, I would try to stay on this. There are some steps that should allow it. I’m a Vray user, but it shouldn’t matter.

• create a mesh from the NURBS model and try to get less polygons as possible (I would mesh it per MoI3D because the great low poly quality)
  • save each unique part as single file at the disc and drag&drop it to Rhino, at the import UI choose “insert” and “linked”
  • now your parts are “Blocks” and can be copied how often you like without to load the Rhino scene file

At this way you should get a much lower RAM usage and should be able to render the scene. I have done this workflow often for transportation interiors with a lot of seat. Premeshing and Blocks are the key to the render.

Sidenote: your render looks very dark and dramatic. For me it looks like the gamma workflow isn’t right, the render output need to be set to gamma 2.2 that could bring a light look. Here a raw example done per postwork.

Ciao,
Micha

To me, this looks like you need to work with Brazil SR3’s analytic displacement. The latest version of Brazil has a feature that allows you to create bumps (actually geometric bumps - not just “bump mapping” tricks) without overloading the scene with huge meshes. Using this feature, you should be able to render without taxing your computer too much.

I’ll put together an example.

Attached is an example image and ready-to-render 3dm file. You will need to download and install Brazil SR3 from here before you try this.

http://download.rhino3d.com/Brazil/2.0/sr/download/

snake_texture_with_analytic_displacement.zip(488.8 KB)

The bumps are made with a procedural dots texture. They are a little too regular for your example - you’ll have to work on a texture that more accurately models your bump type.

And here’s 100 of them. Render time - 14 minutes.

Note also - if you don’t need a real close up, bump mapping will probably do just fine…and very, very fast. Here’s one that rendered in under half a second.

These are the settings to change for Brazil (Rhino, actually - linear workflow is built in).

And here’s the resulting image:

Thanks so much, I’m doing a render w your suggested gamma settings right now. Its looks much better. I can’t wait to look into the rest over the next few weeks.

In rendering jewelry, I have mostly used the settings available in RhinoGoldRender Studio. You have really opened my eyes to the possibilities in the world of rendering! Thank you so much for these examples. It is clearly well worth becoming knowledgeable about what lies beyond these settings. I plan to take McNeels Brazil render online class. Do you have any other suggestions?