Navigate keyframes in the timeline?

Is there a way to jump to next/previous keyframe without going to the KF editor?

As far as I know, there are no keyboard shortcut in Bongo – if that’s what you are looking for?
Can you describe more detailed what you would like to be able to do? The Keyframe Editor isn’t used to walk through a animation!?

Yes, either a shortcut, holding Alt or Ctl while clicking on next to go to the next Keyframe or
for example, I like Cinema 4D’s solution:

Right now the keyframe editor needs to be open taking a lot of real estate in the display. Not always there is need to change KF parameters, often all I want is to walk through the keyframes.

The Keyboard combination method above would work fine without changing the way that the timeline looks now.

To be honest, I don’t understand how you go about with open KeyframeEditor. Please let me know!

A Ctrl-click on the left/right arrow of the timeline-slider (or something of the sort) to step through keyframes I think is a good idea. I’ll put it on the wish list.
Thanks.

The only way to navigate through the keyframes right now is with the keyframe editor:

Which means that the window has to be open.
I know you could go directly by clicking on the keyframes directly on the timeline but when you have a busy animation with many objects it’s very hard to select them unless you zoom into the timeline a lot.

That’s why being able to have an alternate method to walk though the keyframes is IMHO essential.

Great point and suggestion. I do a lot of compositing in After Effects, who seem to have this NLE interface dialed in pretty good. They use ‘J’ and ‘K’ to move forward or backwards to keyframes on the timeline.

It’s a HUGE time saver, especially when you got a lot of keyframes and are zoomed out.

Thanks Dave,
Yeah, although obviously in this case keyboard letters wouldn’t work since we have a command line. But I agree with you, a shortcut would be a big time saver.
If Bongo had a command to go back and forth with the KF’s one could set up a keybard shortcut or even an alias through Rhino options but there isn’t one.
Like play and stop for example, you can pause the animation with the space bar but you cannot resume it, because the focus moves to the Command line. It would seem logical to me to keep the focus in the time line sice this is where you are acting at the moment. One has to go to the timeline to stop anyways so why not keep it there and use the spacebar to pause AND to resume. Then when you are done you push stop and the focus is back to the Command line.
Just my preference observations.

How about a Keyframe index in Bongo’s Object Properties window. It would display the keyframes of all selected objects and highlight the selected keyframes. Clicking on a keyframe would position the timelineslider at the spot, double click opens the KeyframeEditor.

Here, as well as in the KeyframeEditor, it might be good to have an indicator on the keyframe where the timeline-slider is currently positioned. I personally get namely often confused between what I see in the viewport(s) (= current tick) while editing the wrong (selected) keyframes in the KeyframeEditor. Naturally when the timelineslider isn’t positioned on some keyframe the indicator doesn’t show.

Overall (likewise in both Index and Editor) I feel we might benefit from:
• Some more spacing between the keyframe markers to improve readability
• An indicator to show which keyframes are shared by two or more objects (when multiple objects are selected)

How about a Keyframe index in Bongo’s Object Properties window. It would display the keyframes of all selected objects and highlight the selected keyframes. Clicking on a keyframe would position the timelineslider at the spot, double click opens the KeyframeEditor.

Here, as well as in the KeyframeEditor, it might be good to have an indicator on the keyframe where the timeline-slider is currently positioned. I personally get namely often confused between what I see in the viewport(s) (= current tick) while editing the wrong (selected) keyframes in the KeyframeEditor. Naturally when the timelineslider isn’t positioned on some keyframe the indicator doesn’t show.

Overall (likewise in both Index and Editor) I feel we might benefit from:
• Some more spacing between the keyframe markers to improve readability
• An indicator to show which keyframes are shared by two or more objects (when multiple objects are selected)

Ditto on that. I always wandered why there’s no reference to keyframes in the object properties. I would locate the tab above the xyz Monitor or somehow integrated with it. The monitor indicates the transformation values at any tick but there’s no distinction when we are on a keyframe or not, so for example if we have a rotation keyframe at frame 165, the rotation icon and the rotation angle could be highligted in the monitor. So as we go from KF to KF (with Ctl-left or right arrow for example) the corresponding transformations are immediately shown in the Monitor without the need to open the KF editor, and dig until I find the transformation parameter or property that I want to inquire.

I also feel that it would be beneficial to have somehow immediate access to the curve editor in a synchronized way:
For example, the right-click menu of a frame in the timeline, keyframe editor and and the new proposed Keyframe index tab in the object properties, could all have the item: “Go to curve editor”.
I should be also be able to delete or move a KF from the KF editor if the same right click menu were available there, or at least I could delete it intuitively by pressing the ‘del’ key. The more options we have available, the less mouse clicks and window changes one has to do to accomplish a task.

Nice going Juan. This stuff is certainly food for thought. Of course some features (like the keystrokes) will have to be verified on technical feasibility.

Your request for the right-click menu on a frame in the KeyframeEditor (similar to the one of the Timeline) is since long on my wish-list.
About your idea to indicate keyframe-defined-info in the monitor: one must consider that the values shown in the Monitor aren’t necessarily equal to single keyframe data. They can be influenced by additional Simple Constraints and Expressions. This surely has to be thought trough.

I’ll summarize the wishes of this discussion into a report for the team.

Thanks Luc.

The firm thanks you for your cooperation. :slight_smile: