Named Views Disappear - Rhino7

Hi Rhino community. I’m having persistent issues with my named views disappearing after successfully saving and using them throughout a work session. Sometimes it is when I re-open, sometimes they just disappear mid-session.

Perhaps there’s something I’m doing, anyone come across this issue?

cheers

Peter

Hi Peter -
Please run the Rhino SystemInfo command and copy-paste the result here.
-wim

Hi Wim

Rhino 7 SR12 2021-11-9 (Rhino 7, 7.12.21313.06341, Git hash:master @ 5590153808223b57a9f41516a969fd949aa81bff)
License type: Commercial, build 2021-11-09
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10.0.19042 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Plugged in [100% battery remaining]

Hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display: Intel(R) UHD Graphics (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 5-17-2021 (M-D-Y).
> Integrated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU (NVidia) Memory: 6GB, Driver date: 9-23-2021 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 472.19
> Integrated accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Secondary monitor is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 9-23-2021
Driver Version: 30.0.14.7219
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 6 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\V7\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\SolidTools.rhp “SolidTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.12.21313.6341
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.12.21313.6341
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.12.21313.6341
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.12.21313.6341
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.12.21313.6341
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\BlockEdit.rhp “BlockEdit” 7.12.21313.6341
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedPositions.rhp “Named Position”

Thanks -
Is this behavior something that you can reproduce at will?
I would disable V-Ray in the plug-in manager and restart Rhino. Then see if you still run into this.
-wim

Thanks for looking into this! I’m not able to reproduce this at will, although it seems to happen more frequently when I’m going back and forth between rhino6 and 7 with the same file.

I will disable the V-Ray plugin and see if it helps. Thanks

I’ve disabled the Vray plugin and I am still seeing views drop from the file unfortunately. Most noticeable after coming back to the file after a save and exit.

I am frequently exporting objects, purging, and saving out to rhino 6 from 7…not sure if these could be somehow contributing.

cheers

I am also having this problem. I am currently on the Rhino 7, free trial period.

Specifically named views disappear when opening the file, or creating new ones.

Has this been addressed elsewhere, and can I give you any more info?
These views take time to set-up, then just disappear.

Rhino 7 SR18 2022-5-4 (Rhino 7, 7.18.22124.03001, Git hash:master @ b2a1120bcb32e1f6da66a421cd7162a18a9f0cd9)
License type: Evaluation, build 2022-05-04
License details: Cloud Zoo
Expires on: 2022-07-10

Windows 10.0.22000 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Unplugged [43% battery remaining] ~149 minutes left

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 6-1-2021 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 - Build 27.20.100.9664
> Integrated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: Intel
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 - Build 27.20.100.9664
Driver Date: 6-1-2021
Driver Version: 27.20.100.9664
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 1 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\ProgramData\McNeel\Rhinoceros\7.0\Plug-ins\Datasmith Rhino Exporter (d1fdc795-b334-4933-b680-088119cdc6bb)\DatasmithRhino7.rhp “Datasmith Exporter” 5.0.1.0

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.18.22124.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.18.22124.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.18.22124.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 7.18.22124.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.18.22124.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.18.22124.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Hi Matthew -

I’m afraid you’ll have to be more specific than that. Is there a workflow that will reproduce this issue every single time that you try it with a new file from a factory-default template? So far, we haven’t seen this on our systems.
-wim

hi Wim,

its so simple as Matthew said.

I fear that you and the developer team will have to take a deeper look at that issue for yourself, therefore its not the only current bug in rhino 7. honestly I dont know why you are expecting an scientific approach to record a problem from users. we are working with rhino and shit happens (besides all the fun).

I told you in a previous posting that my experiences are exactly the same. I defined some named views (one was a named view called perspective, to get back to perspective quick) and after reopening rhino the named views are gone.

thx,
Ben

edit: your last answer to my posting was “There is not much to go on in this report. I’d probably advise to stay away from using perspective as a custom named view as it is a built-in name.” which is from my point of view unsatisfying.

Hi Ben -

I’m afraid not.
I start a new file and create a new named view called “Perspective”. Save the file. Close the file. Open the file. The named view is still there.

If we can’t reproduce an issue, there is no way we can fix it.
-wim

for sure you cant reproduce it, because you dont try.

have a nice day,
Benjamin

edit: so, Wim, could you tell us exactly which information you need so we can cope with your requirements in future when reporting bugs?

I have been working in rhino 7 for some time now, and this has been a consistent issue for me as well. I will save a named view, but after working for a while or saving and re-opening the file the saved view will disappear. To Wim’s previous comments - it doesn’t seem to happen after a certain task or line of commands, you don’t even notice it has happened till you go to select your saved view only to find it has vanished. This has cost me hours of work when creating drawings that need to align perfectly.

Wim, I am afraid that you didn’t realize why this “viewport disappearance” happens. It happens during the time when you rotate the view or set a separate cplane for the view, not when you close the program. Rhino will not update the saved viewport, rather, it will stupidly delete the named view with the old cplane. The only way I found to solve this problem, is to make multiple copies of the same view so that it will only delete the latest created view. This is a solution, indeed, but it’s super inconvenience. And for people who don’t know this, which is not a common sense for regular users, they will just lose what they have.

Hello- can you please also post the output from SystemInfo in Rhino?

-Pascal

I’m also having an issue with saved views dropping and am trying to determine if my issue is the same as the others above.

I have a couple of named views set, I render with enscape. Then I come back to my rhino file the next day and the names of my saved views are still there but it seems to be referencing a totally blank space, somewhere else in the model.