My mouse is stuck in x and y axis

I was just working and I must’ve pressed a button or something or a stray command, but in the perspective window I cant move my mouse in the z axis. I will select a point, and it only moves in the x and y direction. I can use elevator mode, but I want the setting back to naturally do it.

Do you have “project” checked in the bottom tabs? If so, uncheck it.

No, I don’t.

how are you moving the point? As far as I know you could never move things in z by clicking and dragging them without using the z on the gumball. Otherwise it will always stay in the height the point is already at and move 2dimensionally at that height.

So, I’ll click for a line, and then when I move the cursor around, the second point of the line refuses to move in the z axis, only in the x and y.

Yes that is correct, this was never possible as far as I know in perspective, if you think about a perspective, how would the cursor know you mean to move in z? You will need to either snap to something or go to a non perspective view.

1 Like

Hello - Ortho is on in the status bar - type in Ortho and Enter to toggle it, or click on the word Ortho in the status bar. (Bold = On)

-Pascal

I believe he means when setting points in perspective. It is always set into the CPlane unless you snap to something. As far as I know this can’t be changed?

Hi Michael - the Planar setting will keep the next point at the Z of the previous point within a command - in effect makes an invisible parallel Cplane through the last point. Project works with this as well.

-Pascal

1 Like

Yea that’s what I describe in my comment above. @jaredrpatterson2018 thought it is possible to not be in this plane but I was explaining that Rhino wouldn’t be able to determine a point out of this plane in perspective as it wouldn’t really make sense.

I still say it’s Ortho. =)

-Pascal

1 Like

Pascal
i agree with Michael, in perspective or any other non orthographic view, i do not see how you could determine the " depth" in to the screen of any point just clicked,wouldn’t there be an infinite line of possibilities into the screen view for x,y and z , unless smart track had trapped an x,y or z.
so automatically snapping the point to current workplane xy makes sense to me.
Phil
i guess snapping is the wrong phrase, projecting to xy plane would be more precise.

Yeah - I’m coming around to your reading! I read the OP’s X and Y direction as Ortho but it really means XY plane.

-Pascal