Moving U and V rows of control points

All,

Working on a cover which needs a fairly accurately placed dent. To put the dent where I want it I’d like to move some rows of U and V control points without actually deforming the shape of the surface. Basically a rebuild surface but a manual one that would allow me to relocated the control points on the surface and then move them to pull the surface around. I understand that moving a row of points along the z axis would result in some slight movement in x and y. Is there anything like this?

Best,

Dave

Hi Dave, not shure if the Mac version offers it but the command MoveUVN could do it to some extend. But since the U-V rows are made up of control points, it will change shape by default.

c.

(John Brock) #3

You can also use InsertKnot to add additional control in the surface area you want to mess with. This is where understanding how NURBS curves/surfaces behave becomes important.

If you move a single control point on a degree 3 curve or surface, it will deform the shape near that point and somewhat near the next points on either side. If it’s degree 5 then the deformation is spread out over the point and the next two points on either side.
The Level 2 training guide does a good job of covering this topic.