Adjusting control points on wire frame

adjusting control points on wire frame in 3d / perspective view. one way is to go to one of the three fixed / square views and adjust the control point, square to the world. to adjust a control point in perspective view, i use move uvn, just like adjusting control points on a surface in perspective view. this works most of the time, using the n, it will move a wire frame control point normal to the organic curve and using the v, will move it left and right. using the u, will move it along the curve, just like on a surface but sometimes it doesn’t work and the n, moves the control point left and right, using the v, moves it normal. just wondering, am i missing something here ? is move uvn suppose to be used for wire frame control point adjusting ?

What do mean by “wire frame”? Do you mean the control polygon of a curve? Or something else?

Based on a quick try using MoveUVN on the control points of a curve with “Along tangent” selected:
U is the direction tangent to the curve
V is the direction perpendicular to the tangent and normal directions
N is the direction normal to the curve in the curvature plane.

For a planar curve:
U is the direction tangent to the curve
V is the direction perpendicular to the plane of the curve
N is the direction normal tot he curve in the plane of the curve

It appears that the use of MoveUVN with curves is not documented.

@davidcockey
https://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/6/help/en-us/index.htm#commands/moveuvn.htm?Highlight=move

yes, i’m saying wire frame to describe a curve. what your showing here from your test, is exactly right, it will move control points on curve just like it does on a surface but it can change.

@Fred_C Yes, MoveUVN is documented in Help but only when used with surfaces. However the “use of MoveUVN with curves” is not mentioned in Help.

You’re right!
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

so, what’s the verdict ? is move uvn suppose to be used for curves just like it is for surfaces ? i wonder what the guys at rhino think about this ?

@anajob
There is more discussion here

https://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/6/help/en-us/commands/moveuvn.htm

I have a major rewrite in the MoveUVN topic to explain how a control point of a surface or a curve is moved.

2 Likes