More rendering tests with v7-

OK that was my bad… I should have said we have real rendering coming!

I just got kinda excited, cuz they are really cool… stay tuned.

The tires, are the stripes nurbs or are they texture?

texture-

OK, so I’ll give it a try and report back my initial thoughts… I’ve never used Cycles as I thought it a poor substitute to any of the “real” render engines out there, namely Maxwell and THEA (haven’t used VRay - yet).

There are a LOT of variables for what makes a render engine “great” and it’s super subjective as to your particular needs.

Mine are ease of set up, speed and image quality. Rhino render in v7 (cycles) is ticking off all my boxes so far.

I used maxwell for years and loved every bit of it except it’s speed. Multi light blew my mind. I am super happy they are still doing their thing for the rhino community.

I’m getting result that do everything I need for my clients in seconds from cycles with great quality. (to be fair I have access to the upcoming denoisers so that is cheating a bit. However, they will become publicly available when the v7 sdk is complete. In the meantime I’ll beat on them and work out the kinks so you don’t have to)

In the end the more options for rendering we have as users the better off we all are. Render systems are like brushes, each has their own unique look and each is great in their own way.

I for one am stoked to have a really good option built in for v7.

Ditto!!! And I’d add photorealistic interactivity as key, which is of course a subset of speed and quality. Interactivity and presentation - each has independent criteria.

For product design in a white studio, the baseline today is a ‘clean enough’ photorealistic image in 3-7 seconds or less, imo, as the model is rotated. Presentation renderings 1-5 minutes. (longer if something really important is happening)

As a ‘dumb-arse’ :wink: with a preference for Macs, Keyshot delivers such on the ‘wrong’ platform when properly tuned, albeit with a hoop-jump out of Rhino. Hoping to avoid the game engine hoop-jump too.

Looking forward to continued native interactive visualization progress inside Rhino - even for us ‘goofs’ with the ‘wrong’ hardware.

Thank you for the efforts!

Agreed 100%, especially about Maxwell, Next Limit made some major mistakes and they have a lot of “repairing” to do to convince a lot of users to continue with it. I’ll see how MR5 stabilizes before returning to it. To me, it’s still the best render engine out there.

In the meantime, I’ll take a look at R7 and see how it compares.

Can you try something I am dieing to try but still didn’t have the time/don’t know how to do it, yet?

A nice scene with a curtain controled by physhics via Grasshopper :slight_smile:

Idk if rendering animation is possible to be honest, but if you took 4 seconds to render one image, so a 5 second video with 30 fps would take about 10 minutes, right?

I personally don’t have any animation experience so i’m not the right person to try this, but your logic holds from a conceptual point of view on the timing of something like that.

denoisers do have a few limitations… if you model has fine patterns or textures, they can muddy them a bit until they run more samples. Things like mottled concrete or leaves on trees can look a bit watercolored early on but clear up as they run more samples.