Modelisation of a skateboard: problem

Hi!
I just try to mdelise a skateboard in rhino.
I explain you how i think it should works…but sadly…not…
First, i was drawing in top view the 2D drawing of the board.

After, i was drawing the curve for the concave of the board, and the curve for the kicktail of the board, that is made with two lines, i joined.
Here it is:

After, i used the fonction: Surface → Sweep 1 rail like this:
I selectionned the 3 concave curves of the board i duplicated: one at the front of the board, one at the middle of the , one at the end of the board, that is located at the end of the kicktail
And i selectionned, after, the curve along the skateboard tha has the kicktail.
And, i had this form:

But, this is an “open polysurface”.
And this is my big problem, because i thought, after this, that i could extrude this form at 1.106 cm, to do the thickness of the board. And after, extrude with big thickness my 2D drawing of the board that is the first picture here, in order to do a boolean substraction of the two volumes, that should give the skatebaord i want. But, as i have a “polysurface” after i sweeped one rail, i can do nothing with this! So, could you please tell me now, how can i convert this open polysurface into a closed one, in order to extrude it?
I tried too another solution: to do the section of the concave, in order, after, to extrude it, like this:

…but when i try to extrude this, sometimes i can’t, and when i can, it’s an open polysurface, and even with the fonction “CAP planar hole”, it doesn’t works…

Can you please help me?

Thanks so much!

Sandrine

I think what you have done is made two surfaces… it seems like that, you would need to make the two join up and then use the join button… I am using rhino 3… so don’t judge :stuck_out_tongue: I would do it by creating a curve along where they meet up using duplicate edge, then use the edge to cut the longer surface and delete the bit you don’t want… then join the two to close the polysurface. When I make stuff like this I create the shape with curves from the top, make the planar surface just like a square and rebuild it so there are enough control points, manipulate them then copy that surface above… using the shape curve I extrude, cut and delete the parts that aren’t skateboard, then join all surfaces and fillet all edges simultaneously (If it doesn’t fillet reduce the fillet size it is probably too big) … scateboard ready… wheels optional if it is a hoverboard

2 Likes

The pictures are numbered one to ten to get the order… not sure how to get them in order just hover over them and go from one to ten for the steps.

The above description is very helpful it should give you most of what you need to build the deck. I’d probably work with curves and the NetworkSrf command to get the single surface I needed and then use the OffsetSrf command.

If as threedee has shown, you create what you need as a single surface, the OffsetSrf command with the solid option selected should give you what you need. Once you have a version you’re happy with just copy and paste it to the side and keep working on variations.

Experiment with the Rebuild command on both curves and surfaces. Play around with Untrim too so that you’re working with a square surface and utilise the curves extracted from future variations as you go along. Try to keep it really simple and keep versions of the deck as you go along so that you can move back to a different iteration to extract details and work on it without added fillets and holes etc.

Andy

1 Like

Hi!

Thanks so much!
i answer at your post after this post, as i don’t know if here it’s public or not. I’d prefer share my work to others too!
Sandrine

Hi andy, thanks so much!

As i’d like to share my work, i put after this post the work in progress of my project.

I use the ofset surface and it’s very cool! :slight_smile:
Now, as i’m a beginner in rhino, i don’t understand very well this, but i show you how i try to use your advices! “Experiment with the Rebuild command on both curves and surfaces. Play around with Untrim too so that you’re working with a square surface and utilise the curves extracted from future variations as you go along. Try to keep it really simple and keep versions of the deck as you go along so that you can move back to a different iteration to extract details and work on it without added fillets and holes etc.”

Thanks so much!
Sandrine

Hi!

Thanks so much for your advices!
As i’m a beginner at rhino, i tried to understand your posts, and now, here i am.
First, i did the offset surface command, with the option “solide”, and i have this, and thanks to this, the polysurface is closed, now! :-))

After, i did the boolean intersection of the two volumes:

And i have, now, the first sheet of the skatebaord, with 1.58mm of thickness:

Well, now, i’d like to know how to smooth this volume, especially the thickness, because we see i have angles, at the border, and i’d like to know how to smooth this:

Thanks so much!

:slight_smile:
Sandrine

See if FilletEdge does what you want.

1 Like

Hello,

Another option is to create the front curves of the board along its short side to side axis, define a top board shape and perform a Boolean intersection to get your base board shape and curvature along the right / left axis. Fillet your solid appropriately, and then create a curve to define the curvature of the long axis of the board. Use the flow along curve command to finish your board with specific curvature along both axes. I can do a video if it would be more helpful.

2 Likes

Hello OSTexto! Thanks so much! Well… i don’t know if you have time but, yes, a video would be very helpful to me to understand this! Thanks very much!
Sandrine

Hi! Thanks! I don’t know where it is “Fillet Edge”, i have the french version, but i try to see in english where it is. Is it Solid, “Congé entre bords”, do we have the fonction on this tools:

Thanks so much!
Sandrine

Hi Sandrine,
I only type the commands that I use so I wouldn’t know where to look for an icon.

You can use the underscore version of the command to force the French version to understand the English command name. So just type _FilletEdge on the command line.

1 Like

As you’re learning have the help listed on the right hand side so that when you run a command or click on something it updates and tells you what it does…

1 Like

Hi Wim, thanks very much!

Hi 2D cube, thanks so much!

Hello,

Sorry for the delay, here is the video:

https://vimeo.com/180062570

1 Like

There is a website called www.opensourceboards.com. They have plans for a real world deck and even a Rhino file.

1 Like

Here is one made using the files from the website above:

deck.3dm (448.1 KB)

1 Like

Hi! Thnks so much!

Hi! Thanks!