Missing shadows?

Hello,

I’ve gone through everything that I found on this thread to try to fix my missing shadows in my rendered view, but still no luck. Could I get some help as to what could possibly going on? I’ve attached screenshots in case it helps.

maybe you have some objects deeper down making your ground plane not show up where you might expect it. this or you turned off your light in the general section, but since you have some shading i assume its the ground plane. try making a manual plane under your slabs.

I just double checked and there isn’t anything blocking my ground plane. I also tried creating the surface under the extrusions, but still no luck.

I’m attaching a screenshot with the lights tab showing on the left; I think this is what you are referring to, and everything seems to be turned on.

I’m also attaching the Rhino file incase you can take a look… I’m an advanced Rhino user so I don’t think I’ve made any rookie mistakes, but who knows!

missing shadows.3dm (57.4 KB)

Your rendered mode looks off by quite a bit. You should reset the Rendered mode settings (restore defaults for it). If that still doesn’t help you should run the Rhino command _SystemInfo and post the resulting text here for further diagnose help.

i dont see any new screenshot other than the shadows which you have turned on. i meant this setting

you might have turned lighting off all together there. there is nothing wrong with your file otherwise.

Tried restoring settings, still nothing. Here are the results from _SystemInfo:

Rhino 8 SR4 2024-2-13 (Rhino 8, 8.4.24044.15002, Git hash:master @ 5d3f86ffffae3c2ed84d21147c008b3907a40a2e)
License type: Educational Lab License, build 2024-02-13
License details: Cloud Zoo

Apple macOS Version 14.2 (Build 23C64) (Physical RAM: 64GB)
Mac Model Identifier: MacBookPro16,4
Language: en-US (MacOS default)
.NET 7.0.0

Metal GPU Family Apple 0
Metal GPU Family Common 3
Metal GPU Family Mac 2
Graphics processors
Intel UHD Graphics 630 (1536 MB)
AMD Radeon Pro 5600M (8 GB)
Color LCD (1792 x 1120 @ 59.00Hz)
DELL U2717D (2560 x 1440 @ 59.00Hz)

USB devices
Apple: composite_device
Apple Inc.: Touch Bar Backlight
Apple Inc.: Touch Bar Display
Apple Inc.: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
Apple: Headset
Apple Inc.: Ambient Light Sensor
Apple Inc.: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
Apple Inc.: Apple T2 Controller

Bluetooth devices
None

Third party kernel extensions
None

Third party plugins
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCore.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreFoundation.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreGraphics.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreImage.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftDarwin.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftDispatch.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftIOKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftMetal.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftOSLog.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftObjectiveC.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftQuartzCore.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftUniformTypeIdentifiers.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftXPC.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswift_Concurrency.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftos.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftsimd.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswift_StringProcessing.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswift_RegexParser.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCryptoTokenKit.dylib
/usr/lib/usd/libusd_ms.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreAudio.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreLocation.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreMedia.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCompression.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreMIDI.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftAVFoundation.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreML.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftFileProvider.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftIntents.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftAccelerate.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftGLKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftGameplayKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftMetalKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftModelIO.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftSceneKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftSpriteKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftVision.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftRegexBuilder.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftDemangle.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftVideoToolbox.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftObservation.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftWebKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftNaturalLanguage.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftSystem.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftMapKit.dylib
/usr/lib/log/liblog_network.dylib

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
/Applications/Rhino 8.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhMaterialEditor.framework “Renderer Development Kit” 8.4.24044.1002
/Applications/Rhino 8.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/Commands.rhp “Commands” 8.4.24044.15002
/Applications/Rhino 8.app/Contents/PlugIns/NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots” 8.4.24044.1002
/Applications/Rhino 8.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RDK_EtoUI.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 8.4.24044.15002
/Applications/Rhino 8.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/MeshCommands.rhp “MeshCommands” 8.4.24044.15002
/Applications/Rhino 8.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 8.4.24044.15002
/Applications/Rhino 8.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 8.4.24044.15002
/Applications/Rhino 8.app/Contents/PlugIns/AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools” 8.4.24044.1002
/Applications/Rhino 8.app/Contents/PlugIns/SectionTools.rhp “SectionTools” 8.4.24044.1002
/Applications/Rhino 8.app/Contents/PlugIns/RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render” 8.4.24044.1002
/Applications/Rhino 8.app/Contents/PlugIns/Displacement.rhp “Displacement” 8.4.24044.1002
/Applications/Rhino 8.app/Contents/PlugIns/PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools” 8.4.24044.1002
/Applications/Rhino 8.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 8.4.24044.15002
/Applications/Rhino 8.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 8.4.24044.15002
/Applications/Rhino 8.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoCodePlugin.rhp “RhinoCodePlugin” 8.4.24044.15002

Yes, I had already checked that and changed it to see if it was the problem. It’s something else that’s acting up. Thank you though.

Did the shadows work in Rendered mode for you in Rhino 8 at any point?

Hey Nathan,
Sorry for the delayed reply. I’m believe they did… how come?

If they worked in Rhino 8 before you probably need to reset your settings. Maybe you should do a full reset using the Rhino command _Reset and see if that brings shadows back for you.

So I reset it, I created a new file, and it worked.

However, when I went to the file where I originally identified the problem, I still couldn’t get any shadows. I did a few experimentes and figured this out which is shown in the screenshots, in order:

1. I create a box in a new file and the shadows work fine.

2. I paste something from the original problematic file into the new file and the shadows disappear (even if I paste just a point as you can see in the pictures).

3. I move that point closer to the object where I want the shadows, and they start working again.

Do you have an explanation for this? If I can figure out why this happens then I can fix the file with all my work on it.

In case anyone else is having the same problem with Rhino 8 for Mac:

After many, many, many tries to fix this, I have concluded that it is due to a bug. I will be using Rhino 7 until the updates with the bug fixes come out.

try this-

export your problematic model as an iges or step file-

then import it into a new blank model and try your rendering. Any better, or does it still misbehave?

if it’s good, simply continue from there and assume there is something corrupted in your misbehaving file.

if it continues to misbehave then we can logically conclude there is something deeper going on.