Migrating from nXT to nXT 5

Documentation and tutorials specific for nXT 5 is barely non-existing - so even if I do want to swap from nXT to nXT5 I can’t justify spending days and days figuring out on my own how to do this in an efficient way.
Which custom materials can be “reused”? What need to be done with existing objects that arealready assigned nXT material/property to, when used in a model to be rendered by nXT5? Etc. etc.
I have made a few nXT5 attempts on my own - but with so confusing result that I have returned to nXT to be able to provide a usable rendering to our clients within the available timespan.
I have searched for a nXT5 video tutorial covering at least the basics - and hopefully also how to migrate - but all I find is the legacy nXT tutorials. Confusing - as I understand nXT5 is better integrated to Rhino - thus quicker(?)
Can anyone point out any tutorial / documentation that is specific for nXT5?

1 Like

Have you seen this? I agree the nxt5 documentation is sparse.

Actual nxt5 help pages
http://help.mcneel.com/en/flamingo/5/help/#all_topics

nxt5 help

My office upgraded to nXt 5 and was having issues using it with existing models. I contacted McNeel support and they informed me that since nXt 5 is a new render engine I should not use it on existing projects. Better to use for new projects.

This is frustrating because we purchased nXt 5 as an “upgrade” to nXt. Meaning, our nXt license stopped working. Because so many of our projects are based on nXt, we need to keep that license around. In our situation, we should be purchasing a new nXt 5 license. McNeel should be making this issue clear alongside the upgrade option.

That said, using nXt 5 is basically nXt brought into Rhino Render. It takes time to figure out where all the flamingo things are, but they’re there. Hopefully in future version the interface can be streamlined.

Yes, the newer NXT 5.5 is more integrated with the Rhino 6 rendering interface. Rhino 6 has many change to it rendering interface that we are working on integrating. In some ways the interface is more streamline and in other ways it is just different.

Ok, that makes sense. Thank you!

@Scott

I do product models, containing numerous component blocks (often one hundred and more), that I have gathered through the years. Is Your proposed workflow for migrating from “old” nXT to nXT 5 / 5.5 to first create a new material library for nXT 5, then duplicate my complete block library with hundreds of component blocks (varying in size from a few kb to some hundred mb…) to a new folder - and then (re)assign new materials to all the blocks?
I would also need to re-assign / re-map all the blocks in the main model file - or most likely duplicate also my main model files to be able to recreate my original renderings in “old” nXT

This doesn’t sound like an upgrade to me. Rather a completely new software.
It is exactly the same job I would need to do if I move to vRay, Octane, FluidRay, Cycles or another renderer.

I love McNeel and the support they provide - but I was not prepared to spend many weeks of reassigning material to my entire block library. And surely not without a “how-to” or “best-way-to” tutorial from McNeel

My solution is to stick with old nXT until I am retired and have time to do the meticulous job of assigning material to millions of surfaces…

1 Like