Mesh to Surface not effective

Dear all,

I have been trying to create polysurface from a given mesh. I generated the curve network which were not regular. Hence, I deleted these improper curves and created manually by selecting some points on the mesh. I used PolylineonMesh to do so.

After all the curves seems to be on the mesh surface, I create the surface of them. But the generated surface are not following the polylines I created manually. Please verify with the pointed region of the attached file. Is there anything I am missing in this procedure?

Any hint would be really appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards.Mesh_M.3dm (5.2 MB)

I think I see the spot you’re referring to and it looks like you need some more curves there to get any created surfaces to wrap around that area.

For a shape like this I’d use Drape from the Top and Bottom views and then trim the result leaving a gap between both drape surfaces. Then use BlendSrf and NetworkSrf to work your way around the missing border. SplitEdge and MergeAllEdges will be super helpful for breaking up the edge before blends or networks.

Mesh_M_brianj.3dm (7.7 MB)

Hi BrianJ,

Thank you for your effort. I am sorry to ask but actually I am real beginner of Rhino. I followed your steps to drape from top and bottom views. I could drape them. With the trim option, I guess, you mean to trim the drape created from top view with that of bottom view, or vice-versa, so that the remaining would be the two open faces of top and bottom draped surface

But when I do the trim, cutting object can be selected with yellow wireframe but as soon as I choose the object to be cut process starts but again asks for the option of object to be cut. Did I misunderstood your steps?

Thank you once again.

A mesh full of triangles is tough to work with. This sort of problem is where a Rhino/ZBrush/T-Splines workflow comes in handy. You can export the triangle mesh into ZBrush and with a few steps, have a clean quad mesh that is much easier to work with. Add the T-Splines plug-in to the mix, and you can manipulate the mesh before turning it into a Rhino object. This was made very quickly as an example, but there are many points along the way where editing, smoothing, etc., can be used to end up with the desired result.

Mesh_M_ZBrushWorkflow.3dm (1.9 MB)

For the workflow I mentioned, the Trim should be done with a curve drawn in the Top view while in shaded mode so you can see the topology of the drape. Trim off the outer area of each drape surface and you’ll have a gap to blend between.

The first re-mesh had more polys than probably necessary. Re-meshed down to only 1,000 polys results in a simpler and smoother surface, if that is the objective.

Mesh_M_ZBrushWorkflow_2.3dm (1.2 MB)

Hi mcramblet and Brian J,

Thanks for the impressive geometry. I am sure, by looking at the images and files you attached, I should push myself some more to the plug-in to get familiar with the Rhino. I shall make a detail try with the step you discussed and let you know about the success.

Thank you once again for your wonderful support.

Hello mcramblet,

I would like to apologize for bothering you again for this post. I had paused to work on the geometry for some moments and have restarted again. The zbrush seems to be absolutely new to me. The geometry you have provided with some repairment (smoothing) is relally impressive. I know it’s been a long time and it might not be polite to ask, but what basic steps do I need to take in Zbrush and T-spline plugin to create the geometry?

Also, with your experience, do you have any references (videos) which I can follow in order to create smother surfaces from the similar triangular mesh? I would like to apologize again if my questions are relatively impolite and irrelevant.

I am hopeful for the consideration to my knowledge on Zbrush and hopeful to get your profound support for my condition. Thank you in advance for your support.

Best regards,
AB86

I, perhaps, should have warned that the method does require some cost. Rhino, along with the T-Spline plug-in and a copy of ZBrush. It probably isn’t worth the investment unless it’s something that you need to use often.

If you search this forum, there are a few different posts about this type of workflow. There are a couple that have some very simplified step by step instructions, one of them is:

http://discourse.mcneel.com/t/help-converting-a-mesh-to-nurbs/17329/15

A YouTube search for “ZBrush ZRemesher” brings up a lot of videos from the ZBrush website and others that go into good detail of creating new meshes from various input files. A search for “ZBrush T-Splines” will bring up a few that show the whole process.