Mesh split issues

Hi!

I’m trying to create roads on a terrain, but when I use the mesh split the result does not seem to correspond to the input. Any idea what I’m doing wrong, and how to fix it?

Thank you!
Kaj

Grasshopper, Meshsplit help.gh (62.4 KB)

This mesh is created very far from the origin. Move it closer to the origin for better results. I tried with Rhino 6 and 7, both latest releases. Neither did a perfect job. However, V7 only has some issues with very near vertices (I’ll try to see why, this is logged at RH-67378) and they can easily be solved by running align vertices.

The mesh is placed far from the origin. Rhino 6 does a better job near the origin (I’ve added an automatic part to the definition that moves near the origin).

Still, some areas are not OK in Rhino 6:

Besides the issue that is fixable with Align, Rhino 7 spits the mesh in most places and allows to pick different pieces:
split
I’m taking this as a good example to keep improving mesh split in the coming versions of Rhino. I think we have come a long way already, and more improvements are still coming.

I am attaching the definition:
Meshsplit-7.gh (68.0 KB)

Thanks,

Giulio

Giulio Piacentino
for Robert McNeel & Associates
giulio@mcneel.com

Hi Giulio!

Thank you for your quick response!

I tried moving the model to the center, and it worked a little bit better, but still had some issues.

It’s great that improvements are coming! Do you have any suggestions on workarounds in the meantime?

Kind regards
Kaj

A post was split to a new topic: MeshSplit problems

OK; Yes. Which version of Rhino are you using? Please send the exact version that prints with the _SystemInfo command. For example, Rhino 7 SR15 2022-1-29 (Rhino 7, 7.15.22029.15001, Git hash:master @ 563f52d8960b56c40f3c1e22169400f16a294d11)

Thank you.

This is the version: Rhino 7 SR14 2022-1-10 (Rhino 7, 7.14.22010.17001, Git hash:master @ d8a2d020be8cb487bfc091316ef32170cfc7eddb)

Thank you!

Can you tell which part is not working properly? So I can concentrate the effort!
Thank you,

Thanks,

Giulio

Giulio Piacentino
for Robert McNeel & Associates
giulio@mcneel.com