Merging two ondulating shapes

Hello,

I would like to find a way to merge the two round surfaces using their points and computing a difference when they cross (see reference). Here is attached my first try on grasshopper, using surface grid.

Could you help me to resolve this issue ?
Thank you,

Roundmerging.gh (9.6 KB)

no surfaces in your attached .gh

Surfaces.3dm (674.4 KB)

Here there are :slight_smile:

maybe you can adapt from this example:
combinedripples_ex.gh (31.3 KB)

definition runs fine but might need some house-keeping :slight_smile:

Best

2 Likes

Hi corellaman,
Thank you !

I’ve just seen your reply. (I didn’t get notified). It seems you’ve used the last version of grasshopper and Rhino 6? I couldn’t be able to open it.

Do you think it is possible to combine two dripples built directly in rhino using a similar base surface
and without using the graphmapper component ?

Thanks again,

hi Vixvic,

are you asking because you couldn’t see the graph mapper in the file I shared? I can provide a rhino 5 version if that helps

Hi, yes please it would be great. Thank you ! :slight_smile:
Victor

sorry for delays…

here it is (rhino 5):
combinedripples_ex02b.gh (26.4 KB)

Thank you very much it worked ! I’ve learnt a lot with your exemple.

Now, I would like to go a little bit further learning grasshopper… could you help me a bit more with this two issues ?

1-In you gh exmple, how can we change the ripple graph making it decreasing to match this red drawing ?

2- Also, dould you have an eye on this grasshopper exemple I made ? I would like to draw and control the emplacement of each ondulations. So I started again using offset curves I projected into a surface. Then I tried using the attractor curve technic to create a progressive relief. But I got stuck as I couldn’t set the amplitude of the attracted points properly. Instead it is the surface that is moving… :slight_smile:

Thank you again for your help.
BaseSurface.3dm (100.6 KB)
drawnOndulation.gh (18.7 KB)

hi vixvic,

sorry for (new) delays…time allowed to hop grass for free is limited…

meanwhile:

you can’t do that to the sine graph itself, though you could use the values produced and remap them based on some other graph function in which you gradually decrease the ripple OR you change the logic to something like this example by Kim, where you create the rippling effect via a written expression first, then affect values with a graph mapper afterwards.

I did - and I see what you’re trying to achieve. And I didn’t fix it.
But maybe try this example:
drawnOndulation.gh (27.2 KB)

NOTE:
You’re still probably better off working with points for nicer results, unless you’re okay with mesh-smoothing afterwards or having a heavy amount of points in your surfaces.

In your example your’re imposing a ripple effect based on attraction to drawn circles - though you get results, the ‘rougher’ appearance comes from needing a lot more points for you to reach a good resolution versus using points to mathematically ripple them into a new surface.

It may be of help (or torture) to check these old threads:

Best of luck

Hi Corellaman, thank you very much for you answer and the references to the old threads.
Also, could you send me a Rhino5 version of your sketch ? It seems a component is missing when I open it
I think it will be ok if I increase the number of points in order to get a good resolution.
Thanks again for your help, at this point grasshopper becomes very interesting, looking forward to master the logic of this sketches!

sure thing - I was pretty sure it was a rhino 5 version - I was probably being lazy and used some plug-in component.

Here:
drawnOndulation.gh (25.9 KB)