Measuring Projected Area

Minimal workflow attempt attached.

I’m doing a project with fine, slightly randomised lattice trusses. I’d like to keep an eye on the opacity of different options, which means at minimum tracking projected area in a plane (without double counting intersections.

At the minute it seems the only way to do this is in rhino itself? (curveBoolean, select the regions to keep and then do a bit of maths on the areas). This is fine for the example I’ve pasted, but gets impossible when dealing with thirty different trusses each with 70 parts each.

Any ideas for grasshopper? Best I idea I have so far is putting a lot of points along each element’s center line, creating a list of area each point is in (so discarding the empty space triangles) and then removing areas until each is unique (so discarding overlapping triangles, but potentially discarding triangles that are coincidentally the same size). There’s got to be a more elegant way then that.

Previous threads: all rhino, not grasshopper

Opacity_measure.gh (11.0 KB)

Maybe something like this?

Opacity_measure_V2.gh (8.5 KB)

Oh that is clever. Thankyou. Good lesson for me too, solve it in the data pattern rather then finding the right function.
is my sketch correct how that works?, Like it will now work whether you ask for 70 or 1 or 0 in the initial slider, because it’s just adding a layer to the tree below the curves, allowing them to be smushed together at the top for boolean union.