Mapping planar picture onto a curved polysurface

I have a surface that is curved in one direction and a picture that I want to map onto it (which has the exact dimensions of the unrolled polysurface and should fit onto it exactly).

I would imagine there was quite a simple way to achieve this, but when I use UV Editor, all the single surfaces of the polysrf get exploded, rotated and scaled disproportionally so that it becomes very tedious to clean it up and get the mapping right.

The best way I found to do what I want is to apply a planar mapping first and then adjust the surfaces at the top and bottom of the texture.

But isn’t there a simpler way that keeps proportions intact where I don’t have to do this manually? Am I missing something? I tried decals but couldn’t get it right either.

I am using Rhino 6 Mac.

Thanks

Hi @accounts2
Not sure if the work flow is the exact same on mac, but here’s how it’s done on PC. I think the step you are missing is the unwrapping (on PC it’s a little gift icon :slight_smile:). That’ll make the UV editor see your surfaces as one.

HTH, Jakob

3 Likes

That is exactly what I was looking for. And yes, it seems to be the same for Mac. Thank you Jakob!

1 Like