Make2D will not generate secondary options window nor any 2D drawing

Hi Pascal. Yes, if I run it without any selection, it asks me to select objects. But after I do and press enter, nothing appears unfortunately.

Thanks - OK, so we can at least narrow it down to the dialog, I guess. here are some more to try -

ViewCaptureToFile
Make several blocks and run ReplaceBlock > SelectFromBlockDefinitionList
ReduceMesh

All of those dialogs work?

-Pascal

Yep, all those dialogs work.

OK, thanks for testing. I am at a loss, I will ask some bigger brains…

@martin.craig.everett - one possibility - another shot in the dark really, to be honest - is to reset your settings file. I do not think this is related to that but it is possible. With Rhino closed, locate and rename this folder:
“%AppData%McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\settings”

then start Rhino. A new folder with fresh settings will be generated.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal, thanks for getting back to me. I renamed that folder to a different name and had my Rhino settings reset, but still the problem persists unfortunately. Any other ideas?

Hi Martin - please try:

Locate this folder:
%AppData%\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\Commands (02bf604d-799c-4cc2-830e-8d72f21b14b7)\settings"

In there is an xml settings file for this particular plug-in - delete that (Rhino closed) and start Rhino again - actually get the window positions one as well.

Does that do anything good?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

Still nothing unfortunately. I deleted both and there is nothing in that folder now and the problem is still occurring. I don’t know if this is a possibility, but could my recent BIOS update cause this issue?

Hi Martin - I guess, if I understand, this used to work, correct? Since there is no obvious reason or solution so far… did the bad thing start happening with the BIOS update? Can we tie it to that pretty solidly, timing wise?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal, the command used to work. Although it’s been a while since I’ve used Make2D, it worked before the BIOS update. However, I didn’t use it for a while even before I did the BIOS update; but at this point like you said with exhausting all solutions I think it might be the BIOS update causing the issue…however I have no other outstanding issues with my machine which is odd. Maybe I’ll try and update the BIOS again?

Martin, when you run Make2D, and select objects, expecting the dialog box to appear, does the command end? Or do you have to press Esc to get back to the command prompt?

That is, if you:

1. Run Make2D
  2. Select Objects and press Enter
  3. Type Circle and press Enter

Does the Circle command start?

Hi Brian, the Make2D command doesn’t seem to end. I do not have to press Esc to get back to the command prompt. I did the steps accordingly and the circle command starts.

@rajaa are there any try/catch blocks in the code that could be swallowing any exceptions the dialog is throwing? @stevebaer we used to report non-fatal exceptions to raygun; is it possible that Rhino is swallowing exceptions when the command fails, but not giving the user any information about the failure?

@brian there is not try/catch in Make2D command level code.

Yes this is possible, but from what I’m reading it sounds like the Make2D dialog is being shown in some location that is not really on a screen. I’m basing that off of this comment

that sounds like something that would happen if a dialog were shown but in a location where someone can’t actually see it. @rajaa does the Make2d dialog remember it’s location? If so, maybe we should just get rid of that.

@stevebaer It seems that Make2D does end for Martin (the “doesn’t” seems to be a typo). The rest of the sentence indicate that (I do not have to press Esc, circle starts).
Make2D dialog location is remembered, but the command does not do anything special to remember it. I can check the dialog settings to get rid of it if this is the behavior we would like to implement. I think other Rhino commands do remember the location of their dialog though.

Hi everyone, forgive me for the typo as I misunderstood you. I tried the command in other versions of Rhino and the dialog does not appear either. I don’t know if this information would help but I thought it would be worth mentioning. Let me know if you suggest anything else.

Hi @martin.craig.everett Do you still have this problem?

i still have the same problem on Rhino 6, 6.33.20340.21001, Git hash:master @ dc3074cfd26cb57b879a6e486e45c2af932a7620) & rhino 7.2

but when i install the same version on other pc,it works, i also have try to reinstall with full regedit clear,but still have the problem

Was there ever any resolution to this problem as I am experiencing the exact same behavior on one machine. The command does not generate any dialogue after selecting objects, it just terminates back to the command line. It does run in script mode. This is in both Rhino 6 and 7 on a single monitor system.

This is my system info:
Rhino 7 SR2 2021-1-21 (Rhino 7, 7.2.21021.07001, Git hash:master @ 96ff97351fbdf5d2acdeaf781aea1577f2ff60f7)
License type: Commercial, build 2021-01-21
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10.0.19042 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti (NVidia) Memory: 6GB, Driver date: 12-31-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 461.09
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 12-31-2020
Driver Version: 27.21.14.6109
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 6 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.2.21021.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.2.21021.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.2.21021.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.2.21021.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.2.21021.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
Thanks,
Chris