Make2D will not generate secondary options window nor any 2D drawing

@curtisw Have you seen this behavior?
Make2D command simply terminates as though it is detecting that the context is interactive, tries to open the dialog, fails and end the command. -Make2D runs just fine in scripting mode.

I have two identical installations of Rhino on two different computers. Both computers are rather new, with Windows 10.
On older laptop, the Rhino works OK. However on newer PC, the command Make2D doesn’t open secondary window with options.
The script mode command -Make2D works as expected.

I tested it in version 7.21.22208
Neither upgrade to 7.24.22308 nor downgrade to 7.15.22039 helped to solve the problem.
__systeminfo at desktop-i9 2022-12-07.txt (2.3 KB)

Hi Peter - I would not expect Bongo to be involved here but I would eliminate the possibility buyt blocking/disabling Bongo temporarily in Options > Plug-ins page and then closing and restarting Rhino - any different?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal
I turned off plug-ins Bongo.20, BongoUI.20.v60, NVIDIADenoiser.Windows and restarted Rhino.
No change in behaviour of Make2D. That means, the consequence of command in command line is:

Command: Make2D
Select objects to draw
Select objects to draw. Press Enter when done
Command:

and there is no geometry created.
(By the way, on my older laptop I use Rhino+Bongo, and Make2D works.)

@Peter, is it model specific? If it is, can you send us a model that shows this behavior?

Wrong Peter @Gijs ?

It doesn’t depend on 3D model.

No progress yet?
Here is the video showing the result of command Make2D in script mode and normal mode.

Hi Peter,

I’m not able to repeat this, can you run SystemInfo in the Rhino command line and post the results here? Thanks.

My current SystemInfo log is here:
__systeminfo at desktop-i9 2023-04-13.txt (2.1 KB)
Didn’t change from my older post: Make2D will not generate secondary options window nor any 2D drawing - #42 by Peter30

Thanks, can you update to the latest? Driver is a little old but should be fine.

It doesn’t have effect. I have tried it in opposite order. I discovered problem after update 7.24.22308. After I downgraded to 7.15.22039 the problem with Make2D is still there.

I’ll see if there are any similar cases, we need to be able to replicate this before we can do anything about it. At the moment this seems isolated to the one machine, which doesn’t have any red flags. Please make sure you have the latest windows updates, video drivers & Rhino installed.

There are several cases of Make2D-problem in this forum thread, and none was solved.
My system is updated. Today I updated driver for my VGA (NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000) from v472.12 to v517.40 (issued 2023-03-30) and still no progress with Make2D.

@Peter30
Your Rhino is on SR15, more than a full year behind on monthly updates.
Download the current installer and run it please:
https://www.rhino3d.com/download/rhino-for-windows/7/latest

I updated to the last version SR28, that is 7.28.23058.03001.
Still no progress with Make2D.
Now what?
The first message in this thread about problem with Make2D was in September 2020. Now is 2023.
__systeminfo at desktop-i9 2023-04-17.txt (2.4 KB)

Today I replaced VGA (NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000) with different VGA (NVIDIA RTX A4000) and still no progress with Make2D.

Make2d doesn’t use your graphics card, so that’s not a surprise. Have you tried the Rhino 8 eval to see if it works better on your computer?

Brian, Make2D in Rhino 8 eval works. Still, I don’t know why it doesn’t work in my Rhino 7.
I see the only difference in Net 7.0.0 (systeminfo of both versions attached).
__systeminfo at desktop-i9 2023-12-01 v7.34.txt (2.4 KB)
__systeminfo at desktop-i9 2023-12-01 v8.01.txt (2.2 KB)

Hi Peter,

We made a number of changes to Make2D in the Rhino 8 development push. The problem you’re seeing must have gotten fixed along the way. Unfortunately, it’s too complicated and risky to port those changes back to Rhino 7.