Looks like McNeel globally flipped the z axis

Hi,
I think there is something majorly wrong in Rhino it looks like you have globally flipped the z axis to point down instead of up and I think it’s messing with tons of commands. Try creating a cylinder and notice it’s gumball points to z negative not z positive I noticed this on the picture command and I think it’s messing up flow along srf too.
RM

1 Like

I’d like to add this is gumball set to object, in this case I would expect world and object to be the same in the z axis since the object is extruded up toward the z axis seems counter intuitive to have to think of the end you didn’t start with as the starting side/end of the cylinder.
RM

Dunno Roland, looks correct here… open cylinder drawn with the Cylinder command:

In this case align to World, CPlane and Object are all the same.

A circle drawn on the XY plane and extruded upwards gives the same result. Both of these either as an extrusion or a surface…

Yeah, I see this too @3dsynergy, @Helvetosaur, and the object details show the extrusion surface path in the same downward direction.

Rhino 6.18.19246.10001, 03/09/2019
Windows 10 1903 update

Jeremy

It isn’t universal: for box and sphere z points upwards, for cylinder and pipe z is downwards and for cone z is sideways!

If extruding a circle to make a cylinder, z points upwards…

Jeremy

1 Like

Hmm, I do see this now only for the cylinder if the Gumball is set “To object” and the open cylinder is an extrusion object (not a surface). I thought I had tried that combo before, but I guess I missed that. I have use extrusions turned off in general.

I do not see anything that looks out of the normal for the cone so far though - either solid or surface (the cone is not an extrusion).

Cone seems ‘normal’ drawn everywhere, except where the centre point is on the x-axis where x <= 0, whereupon gumball z points in -y direction, not upwards. I just happened to draw my original test cone there.

1 Like

Just tried this in Rhino 5 - cylinder and tube z vectors pointing downward there too, so this isn’t new…

Cone is consistently upward in R5 though.

Looks like McNeel globally flipped the z axis

Woah. Easy on the conspiracy theories there. We’re just not that powerful.

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-54661

-Pascal

2 Likes

That’s exactly what somebody who’s in on the coverup would say.

2 Likes

Hm. People who are convinced the earth is round don’t care about the Z Axis nearly as much as they should.

-Pascal

4 Likes

Hi All,
Thanks for taking a look I’m taking the vr glasses off that let me work in a flipped environment now.
:upside_down_face:

I think consistency should be sought after so thanks to you all for taking time to sort out even more inconsistencies. I wish gumball would become smarter. I don’t think the “to object” setting works effectively in many cases especially when you are not orthogonal to the view many times it seems to not align to the object and seems to stay at cplane or world orientation. An example would be orienting an object to a curved surface or non orthogonal view. I would expect the gumball to retain it’s axis orientation with the objects original axis. Cubes and planes should at least work in any orientation. I know the bounding box stuff is hard but cubes have a set orientation so shouldn’t by object gumball setting reflect this? Then I wouldn’t need to set cplane for minor designing like extrudes etc.

RM

If this is Rhino V8, turn off AutoCPlane in the status bar. Then run the 4View command twice in a row to reset all views just in case.