Looking for tutorials on Subdivison modeling Bevel and inset commands, creasing

Hi,
I’m loving the new sds tools in Rhino. I’m looking for tutorials on the Bevel and inset commands.
I can’t get control over these tools like I can in 3dsmax. My poly/sds modeling skills are rusty, been doing nurbs and voxels for the last years. I booted up Max and noticed how easy it was to use the above commands but in Rhino sds especially bevel and inset commands go nuts I never have control over them.

Are there any tutorials on these tools? If not please make one like a picture frame or how to easily bevel and inset to do window frames and maybe a stepped pyramid. Also I know there are topology vs creasing but how do we know when to use crease or model the harder edge by adding topology? Take a cube the default is really rounded so now one could either crease edges and get really sharp corners or add edge loops resulting in a more filleted looking box. How do control the size of the fillet ie the topology by adding edge curves and how would you end up with something measurable like you can with nurbs filleting of a box’s edges?

RM

1 Like

do all of your beveling in box mode it’ll be much more controllable.

Hi,

Yes I tried doing that but it’s hardly ideal as is using tab (see my request to have control cage displayed over subd) would make controlling bevel and inset more controllable. I’m finding that all the tutorials I am seeing are curvy shapes but nothing on basic stuff that would be a breeze in nurbs and using filleting edges. Also anything with holes or openings needs to have a completely different work flow. I am finding doing boxier shapes (anything architectural) is much more work than nurbs plus filleting.

Take a simple desk with drawers, or a kitchen cabinet with raised panels, seems to be much more work in sub-d than nurbs and I am struggling to get the topology right more on these simple shapes than on the curvier stuff. Also anything that is boxy but not symmetrical like a cabinet with one side angled. Also how do you control the size of the fillets in subd?

I know your busy and I love the tutorials and the immense effort and help you and McNeel are providing. I hope when you have time you can post a few tutorials on what I am asking for.
Thanks for your response,
RM

subd is ideal for curvy shapes, honestly, I’d use Nurbs for kitchen cabinets etc that are boxier-

you can do boxy shapes in subd but it require more work and is less precise for that type of shape. (unless you just stay in box mode)

plus the push/pull workflow you get with basic shapes in nurbs is super useful for that type of work-

see this video-