Looking for rugged terrain models > for a cool sci fi house

I am writing an architectural design course using Rhino, Sub-D’s and a little AI. I will be building the entire house, BUT I need help finding some cool rugged/rocky terrain that also has a nice texture map.

BTW, the AI is just for initial inspiration, but here are some of the candidates I have generated.

and, some inspired by Dr. Suess

1 Like

Try Quixel for 3D models.
If you’re looking for larger 3D landscapes, a software to look into is Quadspinner Gaea, which has a free version.

@benjamin
Excellent tips! I am all over these two and reviewing them now.
Thank you,
Dave

UPDATE 2 : I am also looking into UnReal Engine 5. Their tools seem to provide a much higher degree of detail up close. Still not sure how it would export / convert for use in Rhino, but I’ll report back when I know.

UPDATE 3: The terrain generators all seem to use top-down projection. So steep walls are distorted ugly messes … and forget about any overhangs.

I thought Gaea would work, but it stinks for any close-ups. The shortcoming of many terrain apps is that they’re designed for backgrounds or aerial views. If you want to walk around (or design a house that touches the ground) they just won’t work.

This image is a part of promising direction. The scene was made in Blender (as well as UnReal) so all of the geometry is three-dimensional, and not top-down projected. The next challenge is converting the node-based materials from Blender to V-Ray. Still looking into it with the file’s author.

The guys’s work is stunning. See the animated video

@schultzeworks did you ever get a gaea terrian export to work with rhino? How did you deal with colouring/texture mapping?

Hi @schultzeworks

I’m using unreal with Rhino. You need to get the datasmith plugin and install it, it’s on the unreal market place tab for free, then Rhino files will open directly in Unreal without much hassle. Also textures come in as well but you might need to redo them to make them more unreal friendly. I turn off layer I am not using and hide curves and non essentials before importing in unreal.

Also Gediminas Kirdeikis has great tuts on getting GH and unreal working with some nice scripting. I was able to generate huge models that I can’t even come close to doing in Rhino using his detailed methods.

FULL COURSE - UE5 for Parametric Architecture #1 | Grasshopper to Unreal Engine bridge using Excel (youtube.com)

Unreal is a beast and handles huge files elegantly. I can’t believe how great their software is, real time Fxs and lighting, fog, explosions, gunfire, characters that interact, characters that can have Niagara Fx applied and work in real time, plus you can move around for real in your model. It’s insane or unreal and it’s free! Don’t forget assets every month that are free that are incredible.

It does take lots of time to get used to and constant checking on youtube on how to do things. It’s not like other software also the one huge problem is load time of a file since it has to be compiled before you can work in it.

Once you open it you can download terrains and detailed rocks trees etc. from Quxiel bridge. Also you might try Twinmotion it exports and links to Rhino files directly and is a bit easier has both Quixel and sketch fab models, it might work for you. You need an rtx Video card. I’ve got 5.3 but am using 4.27 mainly since my card is not up to 5.3 standards.
RM

1 Like

Hey!

Thanks for all of this super detailed info. I’m wrapping up several projects and will get back to this in the next few days.