Locking Layer State with corresponding Layout?

Exactly. So right now, when I click to a certain layout, I also have to switch the corresponding layer state for that layout so the right layers appear and so on for every following one…
It would be ideal if somehow I could “lock” the given layout page for the corresponding layer state.

Hm - I might be missing a link - but as I see it here, there can be one layer state - it will handle all the layouts - are we saying the same thing? I understand that it is not automatic, but you do not need multiple states is at least part of the battle…

-Pascal

Hey Pascal,
Yes, I am aware of that, but let me explain in more detail why I’m asking for this workaround.

I have a Rhino file that has hundreds of layers. In addition to that there are around 50 different layout pages. My goal is to keep everything as organized and as streamlined as possible. Each layout page is a different type of a 2D drawing and is showing different layers. All Layout pages are the same size and I’m using a python script that I found here on the forum that allows me to automatically print one PDF per Layout Page, so I don’t have to do it manually.
I found that creating different layer states for different layouts keeps everything organized both in model space and in layout space, but the only drawback is that I would have to print each layout space manually. That’s why I was asking if there is a way to somehow “lock” a certain layout page to a certain layer state. Hope it makes more sense now :slight_smile:

1 Like

I see - if you need multiple separate layer states, all that comes to mind is to incorporate

_-Layerstate _Restore "Name of state"

somehow into the printing routine.

-Pascal

2 Likes

@dusancv
@pascal

I would also like to be able to associate Layers States to specific Layouts.

So, when toggling through the Layouts, a specific Layer State is automatically switched on for that Layout… Extremely handy when working with lots of Layouts.

Is there yet a way to do this?

Thanks

Hi Sach - there is no way that I know of to do this now.

-Pascal

That would indeed be a great feature that is pretty common to other CAD softwares, such as Vectorworks or ArchiCAD. It’s incredibly useful to be able to assign layer states to detail views. For example, if you have multiple detail views on a single layout page and some layers are conflicting. Lets say on a floor plan you’d want to have your tree models displayed, where as in an elevation these might come to occlude the building.

Hi Lorin -

But that’s already possible - you can turn off the tree layer in your elevation detail.
-wim

Maybe i am mistaken here. But the way i’m trying to do it yields no results.

I have a layout. two detail views are on it. i enter one of them change the layer settings for it, which changes the layer settings for the other detail view too. what am i missing?

Hi @Lorin_Wiedemeier
See if this helps:

1 Like

What you might be missing is that layouts and details have a second light bulb column: their LOCAL visibility toggles.
It’s often hidden to the far right of the layer panel.
These settings are remembered for each layout/detail independently.

Is it possible that you are toggling the GLOBAL bulbs? Because then you would see the effect in all details at once.

Therefore the initial wish of this thread does not make too much sense, because layouts/details already store/remember their own visibility status, which can also be saved/transferred via layer states.

Should you then start to wonder why model space layer states should break layouts, see this thread.

Oh wow. How embarrassing. :man_facepalming: I’ve been using Rhino for around 4 years now and did not know this feature existed!

Please excuse me, and thanks a lot for your explanations!

Best Regards,
Lorin

1 Like

Not at all! I took me a few years to discover this myself… =p

If so many people overlook this, then there might be an issue with the UI design…

1 Like

Haha glad to hear im not the only one!

Indeed the UI solution is a bit of a janky one. having to scroll sideways so much that you cant see the names of your layers anymore, then pray you select the right one feels bit unresolved. And changing the width of the window just to see all of its content shouldn’t really be the way to go either… The Ui could use an overhaul anyways if you ask me…

Do your hear the man, McNeel?

Layer panels tend to become pretty wide. The record holder is AutoCAD, where it became a real monster. You need a second monitor for it…

Quick tips:

• You can re-arrange the columns to your liking in the panel. Maybe drag the second bulbs to the fist. That’s how I like it:

• Check out this inconspicuous little icon. Toggles between local only and global+local params.

Some time ago I posted a suggestion for a popup that shows a layer’s properties vertically like so (mockup):
Rhino layer property pop-up

ALT-click a layer and it pops up. Something like this.
Maybe this wish doesn’t go unnoticed this time.
Thanks!

1 Like

I’m voting Eugene for Rhino-Ui-president :placard:

Ah that is indeed helpful! thanks! And the vertical layer properties would be a real time saver!

Besides the whole topic of user interaction, rhino could use a facelift in general. Looking at similarly cluttered interfaces like blender, one can really see the benefits of modern pleasing ui design. But that’s more of a personal pet peeve of mine…

1 Like

Cheers, mate! You got me, I care about a good ‘user experience’ (which includes a good UI, too).

Talking about it…
Did anybody around here ever work with Softimage XSI back in the days? Boy, was that a well thought out, tight and logical interface! Everybody who knew it loved it. Still, it can serve as a prototypical example for good UI/UX design (not just talking about the looks, but the logic and flexibility)!
And XSI 1.0 was released in 2001…

You are aware that the UI in R8 is getting reworked substantially?

Oh wow I wasn’t aware! Glad they are finally taking on this task!
Regarding XSI, i was not aware of that software, but looks logical on first glance!

the default dark mode looks mangled but with some tweaking you can actually get a calm dark user interface. Now just them god-awful scroll icons for the command prompt need to go, some rounded corners for all ui elements and control over the toolbar up top, (+ some minor stuff) and we have ourselves a decent user interface :tada:

Hello Gijs, I am on OSX running 7.14 and I am not able to find the ‘detail/layout on’ lightbulbs neither the drop-down menu I can see in your video where you can swap between ‘view model layer settings’ or ‘view detail layer settings’. Any hint on how to access them?
Thanks

@lorenzo2 in rhino 7 for mac there are two layer icons. The one circled in red in the image below is the normal layers icon, the one next to it manages the page and detail layers.
Hth