Loading STEP files

I import STEP files into Rhino from a major manufacturer.
These files are very large.
Is there any way that Rhino could show progress?
I always looks like Rhino has died while loading.
“Not responding” at the title, “Begin parsing + gibberish” at the command line, little circle going round and round.
Thanks
MS

In an effort to quantify this for the McNeel folks:
How large (for example)? - file size, number of objects, predominate object type?
Results of Rhino SystemInfo command or other description of your hardware and Rhino version?
How much time are we talking about, typically?

512,587kb
2150 polysurfaces
33 blocks
Very fast hardware (don’t ask)
Latest Rhino6 (last week)
20 minutes
But loaded perfectly!

Hi MS - added to the pile, thanks

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-52667

-Pascal

What do you mean by “Begin parsing + gibberish"? I would expect to see “Begin parsing” for a short while, then a bunch of numbers flying by telling you which polysurface out of how many is currently being worked on. Does the “Begin parsing” stick around for most of the 20 minutes?

“begin parsing” stays the whole time. (Although I didn’t stare at it for 20 minutes.) Seemingly frozen.
By gibberish I mean that it seems there was a couple of other characters following that seem to have been cut off and just a few character parts left on the screen.
Those “flying characters” usually happen with typically smaller, reasonably sized files but not with the big ones.
Again, Rhino handled the file flawlessly, if you ask me. Time stands still when going into shaded mode also. It’s patience that is necessary.
MS

Thanks for the information. The parsing stage is a single call into a third party library that reads the file and creates class instances for each entity. It can take a while for large files. I’ve just taken another dig through their documentation and have found a way to give some indication that something is happening. I’ll try to get it into the next SR release candidate as well as the V7 WIP and we’ll see if it’s of any value with your file. If it doesn’t do anything useful, that means there’s another stage that needs some feedback. If that’s the case, it would be really helpful to have a STEP file that has the behavior you describe. I’ve never seen it in any files I’ve run.

1 Like

Sounds like a plan. I wish I can share the file, but it’s parts for the ISS.
Gears and then more gears complicated plugs and connections.
I simplified what was needed from 500mb down to 139mb after it loaded.
Like I mentioned Rhino was perfect in execution!
Thanks for the great feedback. Looking forward to V7!
MS

The V7 WIP released today has the feedback I’d like you to try. It won’t make it into V6 until we put out an SR16 release candidate. If you’re willing to try the WIP, please let me know whether or not it helps. The feedback is not ideal, but it should show you that progress is being made during the file parsing stage. Thanks.