Lights- project to surface

Hi,

I want to project a series of point lights to a polysurface.

I can do it as points projected onto a polysurface. But how would I do point lights?
I want to create the effect of a fiber optic lighting on a double curved surface (a bit like the enclosed image).

Hi Morten,

one way would be to create the points on the polysurface, then make one pointlight and copy it to the points using the script below.

CopyObjectsToPoints_RH4.rvb (2.2 KB)

The script asks for z-axis rotation which you can just skip, it was made to position trees or human billboards.

c.

1 Like

Hi Clement,

Great script! Thanks.

The only problem I am having now is getting Vray to render the lights.
Any experience here?

m

Hi Morten,

maybe you got too many lights :slight_smile: Have you tried to hide all but one and does it render it ? Do you get the VRay light options in the properties wen that light is selected ?

Maybe using light objects is not the best idea. More efficient would be to render some constant spheres in a channel and add the effect to the rendering in PS.

c.

1 Like

For a fiber optic effect, I’d use an emission material versus an actual light. This will work much more efficiently in all the renderers I know. Use a low res mesh pipe or plane with a gradient to control the fade in the emitter color too if they’re strands of light.

1 Like

This works the best. Although very difficut to control Vray to get the right effect.