Light-shadow: Kumi Yamashita

Render

Original

60 Likes

With Maxwell render

shad2

9 Likes

Excellent reconstruction. I wonder why the first renderings you made show some holes in the shadow that the Maxwell render hasn’t.

Maxwell Render

Original

19 Likes

Thanks,
You mean these? the shadows are on the shapes

Also in Maxwell i can control sharpness of the shadows by scaling point light which is more realistic and close any small holes in the edges

2 Likes

Yes exactly. The softer shadows make the Maxwell render hard to distinguish from the original. :clap:

1 Like

Amazing work!
I see in the sitting woman, you cut the outline on the chair profile, but in the construction blocks I don´t see any special cut, all the blocks seem “properly” flat.
Did you manually arrange the blocks to produce the shadow? As said it´s an amazing result!

Thanks , the original chair made like this you can see that in the website of the artist.
Sometimes she used positions and heigths , sometimes edges and sculpting.
I recreated the curves of the blocks than used Grasshopper to find the right heights with sliders or Genpool

2 Likes

Maxwell Render

Original

17 Likes

Original

15 Likes

wow~ amazing scene :grinning:

1 Like

@anon39580149 Nice models of these works by Kumi Yamashita!

One thing you might try… a rectangular light will allow you to blur the shadow edges in Rhino Render v7/Cycles. The size of the rectangular light as well as it’s distance from the model are both factors to control the look.

2 Likes

Thank you for the tip
I will try it

What great art and a great GH reconstruction! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I really like !

1 Like

Amazing work! What’s the logic of the how, you create this in grasshopper?

Can you share how you did it ?

Thanks
First i draw curves from the original image and i intersect shadows lines in Rhino to find the point light, than i extrude each curve and choose light height until i see that the projected points are on the top of original shadows.

7 Likes

Fantastic! thanks

2 Likes

Great work!!
How did you do that?

1 Like

Recreate some renders with Cycles

13 Likes