Here some pictures of a laser cut portrait 585 mm diameter.
It was done by me and laser cutted by Sculpteo France on 4 mm thick Okoumé.
The process is
- Find a good contrasted image
- Transform it to grey image
- Invert it
- Apply the magic circle packing components from Kangaroo, here with 8000 circles with circles from 1.3 to 4.4 mm) Image-based Circle Packing within a polygonal limit
5a) Make some Voronoi
6a) Offset the Voronoi Cell (I used StudioAvw Offset Polyline https://www.food4rhino.com/app/clipper-grasshopper-and-rhino),here offset of 2 mm as Sculpteo recommend that distance betweens cuts is more or equal than the thickness of the sheet
5b) You can also offset or scale the circles
- Bake to Rhinoceros
- Export to SVG (is used my own SVG exporter with Rhino 5) https://www.food4rhino.com/app/save-scalable-vector-graphics
- Get a quotation
- they will say that polygons are too fin so there will be burns
- Receive it, burns traces were all other the wood but a sanding with an orbital sander and fine grain remove them.
Happy laser cutting