Ladybug working on mac

did anyone manage to make honey bee work in Mac ?

Hi -

For macOS, you’ll need to run the 1.0.0 version that was just released.

-wim

2 Likes

@wim are you actually using a mac either? or how did that info slip to you? i always avoided being interested in ladybug, glad that i finally can interest myself for it :slightly_smiling_face:

ok nevermind i guess that was just visible for anybody reading long with the updates.

The install process for version 1.0.9 (from food4rhino), allegedly made to make things easier for inexperienced users, is pretty much a nightmare :

1. it crashes Rhino on macOS (at last for me) and thus the installation fails each time
  2. it does “unauthorised” web downloads and weird undisclosed stuff in the background, which by all means is spooky
  3. it wants to install another version of Python, even if the user already has Python 2.7, 3.8, and IronPython installed, which again seems weird and redundant
  4. it attempts to (and fails to) download and extract a ZIP file into a ladybugtools folder that it created inside the home directory, which macOS users usually want to keep clean and is not the Downloads folder nor a common install directory!!!
  5. there is no guide or alternative on how to install the add-ons manually and I have no intention of going through their Python code to find out how to

NOT RECOMMENDED!!! HARD PASS.

Hi -

I guess I’m having difficulties finding your post about this on https://discourse.ladybug.tools/.

If you just want to complain, I suppose this is as good a place to do that as any other.
If, on the other hand, you would like to provide input to the people that actually wrote all that, you’ll really just have to go to that other forum and make a post there…
-wim

1 Like

Well I never said that I posted there. I don’t even have an account.

I started from your reply above, downloaded the add-on out of curiosity, and proceeded to install. My post above merely reflects my experience, observations, and opinion about the unusual installation process through Grasshopper (on macOS), with a touch of humor at the end. :joy: :sweat_smile:
In other words, my attempt to install the ladybug tools to answer OPs question failed, and I thus posted my findings.
If anybody feels offended by the last line or GIF, I’d say to them: “Humor ist, wenn man trotzdem lacht.”, quoting German author Otto Julius “Simplicissimus” Bierbaum (1865-1910), which roughly translates to “Humor is when you laugh despite”.

I agree that it would be right thing to also post this in their discussion forums, but I personally don’t care enough about the plugin to register.

Since these comments can be misleading for other users I add some clarifications to the two of your comment.

We use Python package manager to install the libraries. This is a common practice. You can double click on the component and see every line of the code - not sure what you mean by undisclosed stuff.

We had to compile Python 3 for Mac because of incompatibility issues. We also need to have control on the version of the Python that is installed because we orchestrate several Python modules for different purposes. The code will not work just because you have Python 3.8 installed.

Hope it helps.

1 Like

Hi @Mostapha,

You must be one of the developers, given on how knowledgeable you are about this?

I redacted some of my maybe less-substantiated comments, in order to not be allegedly misleading. I stand by rest of my critique though!

OK, but why not let users install the Ladybug tools the usual way through pip or even Homebrew (for macOS users)?
And don’t tell me that this would be too complex for most users, because they already need to be fluent in Python to vet the Ladybug tools code, or trust you blindly, right?

Why put a Python installation inside the home folder?
Python is usually installed in usr/bin/.. or usr/local/.. or within an application package inside the Applications folder, or Library folder.

Got it! Seems convoluted to me though, for it to not even work (in my case at least).
I mean you and @wim were quick to jump on few, allegedly misleading words of critique of mine, but somehow totally ignored to help OP or even investigate why your process doesn’t seem to work, since it crashes Rhino on macOS and leaves an unfinished download and ZIP file inside the home directory.

Don’t get me wrong, Ladybug being open-source is great and the tools are fabulous, when you get them to work! :slight_smile:

I have Managed to successfully download all of the plug ins, but none of them work.

I keep getting the same errror shown in the image above on all the component.

Have you seen the discussions on the Ladybug Tools forum?

1 Like