Kinematics of Invisible Hinge (Invisible Hinge with 7 Axes)

Good afternoon dear experts.

Could someone of you explain the conceled hinge kinematics and how to build an interconnected algorithm in Grasshopper?
Kinematics of Invisible Hinge (Trigonometric Analysis of the Motion of the Invisible Hinge with 7 Axes)
CONCEALED HINGE - 7 AXIS - STEEL PLATES - 180° OPENING

Maybe Daniel Piker can help or someone else.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Harald

Uploading: image.png…
the gap between the panels must be (0 mm)
Harald

Harald

Maybe someone can send a ready solution in Grasshopper or explain in simple terms the logic of movement along the axes (how can I build dependencies in Grasshopper).

Harald

I did this a while ago with some constraints in Kangaroo, but it’s complicated :slight_smile:

It was a lot of trial and error until I found the right specs.

The linkage was used on a mobile folding mini ramp for skateboarding.

2 Likes

Hi Martin,

Thanks a lot for the quick response/support.
Tell me please, can I somehow achieve that the space marked with a red arrow is equal to 0mm?

Harald

I don’t know, sorry.

Now the gap between panels is 46.5 mm.
Harald

Here’s a setup where the linkage is defined by the initial positions of those 7 points
hinge.gh (14.7 KB)

hinge

You can adjust the positions to get the gaps you want

5 Likes

Thank you very much Daniel.
I see you have a 90 degree opening I can adjust the in you Grasshopper file to 180 degrees?
Harald

The range of the angle slider in the definition is what is controlling the range of the motion. Right click it and Edit to change the Max value.

Daniel,

To achieve this result (picture in app.), do I need 7 axes or can I use fewer axes?
Could you please edit your Grasshopper file/script.
I am unable to achieve the desired result (I am not very strong in kinematics).

Harald

Daniel,

That is this the maximum degree that I could open.

Harald

1 Like

Could someone suggest a platform where I can intuitively calculate dependencies (kinematics) for similar tasks?
Harald

If you look at the Soss hinge pictured above, you can see that one of the hinges is actually sliding back and forth. I attached a Rhino model of a Soss hinge, maybe you have this already? Not sure how correct this model is but I think you should be able to retrieve the dimensions and hinge axis.

soss.3dm (3.1 MB)

Thanks Martin,

Yes, I have a similar model, but I can’t establish a link between the axes.

Harald

What do you need this for?

Soss hinge, not really fully constrained yet, but:

1 Like

Thanks Martin,

But I need that when the panels turn 180 degrees (there was no gap between them).

Harald

Martin,

Could you tell me with which component in the Grasshopper I can visualize the rotation axes, as shown in your video?

Harald

Martin,

Could you send me the Grasshopper file of this hinge, what are you demonstrating?

Harald