Joining/ linking up meshes

Hello,

Could anyone give me some ideas for joining two meshes, possibly via linking vertices?

They way I thought might work is to convert to nurbs then add a surface intersecting both, then convert to mesh again?

Weaverbird has a wbjoin command but I’ve not used grasshopper yet. Is this a good option?

Many thanks again (again) for your help,

John

What is your goal?
In Rhino, you can join meshes even if they are miles apart. That will create 1 mesh object and is often used to reduce file size.

Hi,

The idea is to be able to print them out as one object. One mesh being inside the other, I assumed they must be “attached” to each other in some way…?

Thanks.

I think you want to merge them together. Try MeshBooleanUnion Command This will melt them together. if Both Meshes are Closed then this will also create a “WaterTight” object

If you want too merge other objects than meshes use BooleanUnion itself instead of MeshBooleanUnion

Also, when it comes to printing, @Willem replied to your other question here. Most likely you won’t have to Boolean them together.

Thanks Jordy and Wim,

Thanks also to @Willem, although this is really a different question.

What I want to do in this case is print a mesh inside another mesh, and I was just wondering (for the sake of structural integrity rather than actually getting it to print) whether it would be best to link the two meshes together.

Conceptually, I effectively want to print a round mesh “hanging” inside a larger round mesh - how would I create the supporting edges between the two?

Many thanks again,

John.

For rendering it is needed some times too - for example a glass sphere with a thickness. Simple _join the two meshes and they are handled as one object. Best check the surface normals before if needed for the final result.

sounds like you just need to draw a few lines from a few of the vertices of the outer object to closest vertices of the inner object. then either pipe or apply curve piping and mesh/extract render mesh.If you want smooth transitions you should look into grasshopper and its plug-ins. (or t-splines)

meshes can be joined to one object without an additional visible connection, simple use _join

That’s what I answered a bit further up but apparently we are talking structurally connected here.

Thanks to you all, and especially to wim.