Join polysurfaces or join pipes

Hi there
I would like to be able to unite all those different faces, which are “individual polysurfaces”(pipes), in a single object …
But I don’t know how to do it?
Have I tried Boolean, …join Polysurfaces, … to SubD?.
Does anyone

Module Venation.gh (9.8 KB) know how to tell me the simplest way to join those different faces coming from Pipe/s from Venation in Grasshopper ?.
1-How to proceed to join multiple pipes in a single object?
2-Finally … so difficult to manage to join the faces in a single object?.
3-Is this process better in GH or in Rhino?

Thanks for the help
Cheers

Hi,

Please upload your .3dm file or internalise the surfaces in your grasshopper components and re-upload the .gh file. Sadly, there’s not a lot to go on yet!

Regards
Jeremy

Here
Yes, sorry
( differents files,looking for to solve it…
here a module ).

ThanksModule Venation 1 srf.gh (10.1 KB)

…and here the other Groups.
(Still compressed look heavy the file)
ThanksModulos reducidos.rar (11.3 MB)

Hello - If you are looking to use a BooleanUnion among these pipes, there is basically zero chance that this will work - I would find a way in GH to eliminate all the duplicate segments in the pipe inputs get something cleaner to begin with.

-Pascal

Here’s one way to eliminate the duplicates Module Venation 2 srf.gh (17.4 KB)

But, getting sphere-capped pipes to boolean union in Rhino is somewhere in the range difficult to impossible, because Rhino doesn’t like booleaning the coincident surfaces in the spheres. It might be possible to get a single solid if you trim each surface to its intersection lines and join them. But that is a lot of work.

As you are working in the WIP, given that you are creating an organic form have you considered using sub-d instead?

Regards
Jeremy

Hi, @claudiofeldman
this seems to work when you cook you will get a SubD element
be very careful with those duplicates.

Module _Yo.gh (17.7 KB)
Here is a way to adapt @jeremy5 method to reduce accessories.

Hi @vikthor,

Nice. I was pretty sure there was a removeDuplicateLines component but I couldn’t find it. Pray tell, where does it live?

Regards
Jeremy

1 Like

Medellín, Colombia

=)

-Pascal

Thank you !
I appreciate all this information.

Greetings

Thank you !

Sorry,Vikthor
Again question:
“i dont understand why i cant see the same result in my pc”…,
…with your Gh definition?.Is exactly that what i was searching…
—Here a screenshot—.
( i have download Dendro,and its ok).

But the command “Curve to volume”…seems not working ?
Can you help me again ?.Thanks !!.
…Maybe I have tried so many files
that I no longer know where you got the SUB result.
…Other pc ?
Thanks for your kindness
Spanish language?

select the component right click on the canvas and “Enable”

Interact with this button at the end of each action

Thank you !
Greetings

Hi @claudiofeldman,

I started to play around with @vikthor’s solution to see if I could take it further and get smoother shapes and reduce the mesh count significantly before baking into Rhino. It worked out quite well.

Smoothing doesn’t seem to do much to help here, so I made it optional; but quad remeshing down to a mesh count of 1500 makes the resulting Subd much more compact. Going down to 1200 left an invalid Subd.

Here’s the file, if you want to play with the various parameters: Module _Yo B.gh (35.2 KB). There are a lot of data dams in this, because it was starting to overwhelm my laptop.

Regards
Jeremy

1 Like

Hello Jeremy
Thankful from the heart, really, for your sending, and answers !! (… more in these moments).
I really wanted to achieve that, which is seen here, and also since Vikthor’s last post …

however I found problems with the “Relay” command … I don’t know why <?

• ((maybe because I have to try on another computer>? I don’t know)) —

But if I see that you and he have achieved what I was looking to do with those faces! It was just that.
Of course I’ll try as soon as I can .-- I can’t wait to do it!
I am grateful for your responses.
Interesting, and it looks great.
Cheers

Jeremy

Help !!!..pls… (hahaha)

1-How should I do to open it in Rhino Wip?
2-I see it in GH … but nothing when cooking?
3-I see that this command is working … but the others are not yet?
4-Is it in order? Should you wait until when?
Could you help me to know how to open this in Rhino?
5-Snapping Gecko? what is that…
I have in Rhino 6 and the Wip.
It is what you want to know but I still do not control it as you, …
Have you ever opened a Rhino file before? which>?
I try to read from the gh.file, without rhino, because I don’t know what the file is now.
Cheers

Sorry here the image-question
Thanks

CC.jpg

It will open slowly because Grasshopper recalculates everything when it opens a file. My laptop takes nearly three minutes :slightly_frowning_face:.

Sorry, just seen the picture in your following post - if Q1 relates to 1 in the picture, then 1 is another data dam, but showing that there is data waiting to be let through. But this only needs to be opened if you are using the smoothing option. Use of the smoothing option is optional and is controlled by the Filter component. If you toggle the Boolean Switch in the middle of your picture on then the smoothing branch will operate, if you leave it toggled off then it is bypassed.

The Data dams at 2, 3 and 4 all show that there is nothing to be let through, so you don’t need to do anything with them at that moment. Only open a dam (by clicking on it) when you have changed something upstream and it shows the Triangle. Only open one at a time, working downstream. (Of course if you have a PC with lots more power than my laptop you may not need all the dams.

2 & 3: these dams are there because the quad remesh takes a long time and while it runs grasshopper becomes unresponsive. That is really annoying when you are trying to adjust a slider! Blocking the data allows you to adjust all the parameters without that difficulty.

4: This dam is less important when you have reduced the target mesh significantly with the Quad Remesh, as theSubDMesh component runs quickly, but if the mesh is large then it will take longer. It is useful to check the QuadRemesh (QRMesh) output before creating the SubD as often you will find a combination of parameters leaves gaps, or merges too many branches together.

The dams are just there as gateways - the output from a dam is the same as the output of the component feeding it, so the dam doesn’t need to display in Rhino.

SnappingGecko is a plugin that helps you line up your components on the canvas. If you like things neat and tidy then its for you, if you don’t care then you don’t need it (although other viewers might appreciate you using it).

This .gh file had the input surface and point data internalised by vikthor, so it will work with an empty Rhino file, or with any of your model files. If you want to transfer the internalised data to a rhino file you can simply bake it out. Internalising is advised when you post in the forum, because then you don’t have to have the Rhino file as well.

Regards
Jeremy