JCAD Files and STL Files

I made a model for a customer and I gave him the STL file.

He gave the STL File to a CAD guy from China, but he says he needs a JCAD (JCD) file instead of the STL. Which surprises me, since I thought STL was the end-all-be-all of multi-compatible CAD files.

I’ve never even heard of JCAD and I couldn’t find much information about it either.

Is there even a way to convert the STL file to JCAD?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

JCAD is a pretty obscure file format, this is the first time I’ve ever heard of it, had to look it up.

That being said, if it’s a mechanical part for machining and not rapid prototyping, you will not be well served by an STL. STL is a polygon mesh format. If the person manufacturing your object is using some kind of MCAD software, a STEP or an IGES is preferred - both are surface formats, the STEP can also be solids.

–Mitch

JCAD was written entirely in Java.
I haven’t heard of it for a long long time,
It certainly was not CAD as we know it, I would imagine file formats would be an issue.

I have had similar issues trying to transfer Rhino or STL files to JCAD vendors. I’m afraid there is no workaround. JewelCAD can export an STL, but only via its built-in slicer (and the resulting STL is horrible). That said, the STL should be find for printing, your vendor probably wants the JCD file so they can manipulate something parametrically.