It will take at least 14 months to fix all Rhino bugs

Rhino has 13962 listed bugs. source: https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issues/RH

The latest Rhino service release (6.9) fixed 93 bugs. The Rhino service releases are made once a month. It will take at least 13962/93=150 months to fix all bugs because new bugs are reported every day and because minor bugs are not listed. 150 months = 150/12=12.5 years.

Your link also shows resolved items.

You meant to look at open issues. (3122 issues)

For an idea of resolved issues have a look at the page with resolved issues for 6.9. (214 issues)

Also for fun look at all resolved issues (10682).

Thanks for the correction - it means that all minor bugs should be listed and fixed before Rhino 7 is rolled out. 3122 bugs divided by 214 bugs fixed every month equals 14.6 months. (I have changed the title of this thread.)

well 14 months doesn’t sound so bad…

You should take into account the priority variable. Some of these issues will probably be ignored unless enough customers cry about them.
Also you should add several new bugs to be found each month. As well as, several regressions, fixing bugs causing additional bugs. Some bugs may be due to conflict with other software (incl. drivers)

I would increase that number to about 16-18 months.
I don’t know what is the plan of Rhino7 but if it is end of 2019, it is certain all these bugs won’t get fixed for Rhino6.

Our bugtracker is a combination of major bugs, minor bugs and feature requests. I doubt there would ever be a point in time where “all” Rhino bugs will be fixed.

3 Likes

Rhino 6 just came out this year. Typically there are 5 years between Rhino releases. So I expect Rhino 7 in 2023. Check the years of past releases in the Rhino Wikipedia article.

Regards,
Terry.

I’ll be 69

My impression is the complexity of a software grows over the years and so more bugs are possible and bug fixes needs longer. I afraid it’s a system theory law.

It is often the case, and therefore a complex system can “grow out of hand” and you need to start again from scratch.

But it doesn’t have to be that way. It very much depends on the basic design principles being used.

If I understood it correctly R6 has been a big rewrite, and if that has involved a change of basic design principles it may have a brighter future than before. At the same time, a big rewrite would typically also cause many bugs, to start with.

Future will tell.

// Rolf

64 over here - we can retire and not worry about it :slight_smile:

I give McNeel a lot of credit for being transparent on their development process. Two thumbs up guys!!

4 Likes