Issue with Polysurfaces - Visually similar to "cobwebs"

I have an issue of polysurfaces creating “cobweb” like structures reaching out between different parts for my models. Issue persists on all new models.

These extra surfaces are not actually there and cause no issues with the actual modeling process but make it very difficult to see what I am working on. The issue seems to effect the viewport in wireframe, shaded, ghosted, and xray but not in rendered modes. When the polysufaces are converted to meshes (leftside) they do not seem to have any issues.

I noticed this issue after dealing with some very complex and high count meshes but I’m not sure its its related at all. Let me know what you think!

Model:
Chessboard.zip (17.9 MB)

Hello -

Please run the SystemInfo command in Rhino and copy/paste the results here.

-Pascal

Rhino 6 SR24 2020-3-19 (Rhino 6, 6.24.20079.23341, Git hash:master @ 064283610b834170e52117f2656605b5b25d65c0)
License type: Educational, build 2020-03-19
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Connor MacKinnon ()

Windows 8.1 (Physical RAM: 7.9Gb)
Machine name: LIVINGROOMPC

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: Intel® HD Graphics (Intel) Memory: 2GB, Driver date: 11-18-2013 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.0.0 - Build 10.18.10.3355

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: None
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: Intel
Render version: 4.0
Shading Language: 4.00 - Build 10.18.10.3355
Driver Date: 11-18-2013
Driver Version: 10.18.10.3355
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 2112 MB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.24.20079.23341
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.24.20079.23341
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.24.20079.23341
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.24.20079.23341
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Hello - see if you can find newer video drivers:

Driver Date: 11-18-2013

-Pascal

I found one update but it wasn’t very recent either. The change did effect the issue but did not fix it. Would you assume that this PC can just no longer handle the program needs?

Thanks,
Connor

Hi Connor - the things that don’t look right are meshes, not polysurfaces. The clean ones are polysufaaces. What happens if you Explode one of the meshes?
(everything looks clean here, btw)
-Pascal

I would say if you’re serious about running Rhino, yes, replace the system with one that meets Rhino System Requirements. Your old Windows 8.1 system a very “long in the tooth”.

Hi Pascal,

I’m not sure if I follow completely but on my end it does appear to be the polysurfaces. I was hoping it was just some setting but I figured it was the PC. Thanks for all the input but don’t worry about it too much I’m just trying to use this PC for a temporary setup for the COVID self isolation.

Thanks,
Connor

Yep, gotcha, sorry, I misread the images. What happens with RefreshShade? Or Extractrendermesh and move the result to one side or hide the polysurface. Does it give you the extra stuff?

-Pascal

Hi John,

Thanks for the input. Yes my regular set up doesn’t have any issues. Just hoping to get a temp set up going for the self isolation at the moment.

Thanks,
Connor

See this post on updating Intel graphics drivers:

I’m afraid this old system has unsuitable Intel graphics.
The oldest we even attempt to support is the In HD 4000.
i suspect his chips is 2 generations older that that.
Even the newest Intel UHD 630 are terrible.
They are not intended for OpenGL graphics.
They are intended for general computing (not even gaming), and extend battery life.

Alright. I sort out a different solution. Thanks

@connor.j.mackinnon It is always nice to know what kind of solution you used! So others with maybe the same or similar problems can learn something!