Is there a stored log of commands carried out?

Hi
V5
Open up my file of 14 hrs hard slog from yesterday and the lines etc assoc with it are not there, only the raster images.

Did I delete the grouped work and not reinstate it ?

Did I hide it and not use show before clsoing file, and if so is it still recoverable next day ?

All I know is an entire 14 hrs flat out work is gone.

Is there a log of what commands I carried out that survives beyond file closure ?

Steve

No, unfortunately not - once the file is closed, it has no “memory” of what was done previously.

If stuff was hidden when you closed the file, it is still hidden and not lost, Show will show the hidden objects. Also check if the stuff is on layers that might be turned off.

Do you have Rhino (5) set to create backup files (.bak) when you save the file? If so, the last .bak might still have some or all of your work still in it. To check, make a copy of the .bak file somewhere else, then remove the .bak extension and open in Rhino.

–Mitch

Hi,

turned all layers on, not there, so currently redoing 14 hrs work.

removed word bak leaving.3dm after as you said copy the 3dmbak file somewhere else.
Opened it into a new instance of rhino and BINGO !!!

YOU HAVE SAVED MY DAY. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

To have a forum like this is awesome.

I have , to be safe, copy pasted the missing work now found out and into the file I was redoing.

Is it safe to remove bak and that is then a fully fledged functional file, a perfect basis to move forward on , no different to the one I had just saved last night in order for the bak to exist ?

I dont see how though the data can be in the bak file and not in the 3dm.

Steve

Yes, the .bak is a fully-fledged Rhino file, just with an extension .bak added. As son as you remove it, it’s just a normal Rhino file. You can continue to use it as any file.

Why you have a .bak and why you found your data in it…

When Rhino saves a file, it does the following:

1. Saves the open file in its current state to the disk under a temporary name (like a SaveAS)
  2. If that is successful, renames the existing file (which is only current to the previous time you saved) to the file name + .bak (that is the backup file).
  3. Renames the temporary file created in step 1 to the original file name.

That system was originally designed to save your bacon in case something went wrong during a file save to disk. The backup file was deleted if the save was successful. Later they realized that leaving .bak file accessible to the user instead of deleting it might be helpful to some - with the downside of taking up more disk space and leaving .bak files everywhere - so it’s optional, you can turn that behavior off, and .bak files are no longer left on the disk.

I guess you can be glad today that this option is on by default… :smile:

Glad you recovered your hard work!

–Mitch